Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vf2 battery life

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
This is different to the trickle charger battery monitor that CTEK markets?
no idea
I have a ctek monitor that works off Bluetooth. every time I walk near the car it gives me a battery reading on my phone so I know when to charge.

doctorjoolz

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Is there a way to override the 10 minute time out for the driver's seat. When it happens the seat goes back to the normal driving position which is a pest if I'm trying to have a nap.

The 10 minute time out applies to the radio and the interior blue lights around the door handles. It is in place to stop unnecessary drain on the battery. Other ways to waste the battery are pulling up somewhere at night and leaving the headlights on while chatting on the phone or sleeping in the driver's seat with your foot on the brake pedal! Seen it all... :rolleyes:
I

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
i brought a my17 redline new and am wondering about battery life, these cars run lots of electronics and i don't want to get stuck anywhere with a dead battery
the factory battery is a acdelco so has anyone had to replace one yet , i am thinking maybe 3-4 years maybe time to replace before it shags itself.
and what's the best replacement, acdelco or a century as supercheap have century ones on sale for $190 which is $50 bucks off

I purchased the same car and lost the battery after less than 12 months. In my case as I was not driving the car much it went completely flat a couple times and I brought it back to life with an overnight charge. I did that probably 3 times in 12 months and eventually one day it gave up the ghost. My bad. I was near a holden dealer and drove in and said please check battery. They did and there was a dead cell. They put in another ACDelco battery which have a greater level of CCA than the one from new. I think the original was 600 CCA and the new one was 660 CCA. So a little bit more oomph. Moral of the story for me was drive it more ofter or leave a trickle on it. Lesson learned for me. I must admit I treat it a bit as a garage queen sometimes as I have an old car to drive as well. :)

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF2 Commodore Calais V8
I purchased the same car and lost the battery after less than 12 months. In my case as I was not driving the car much it went completely flat a couple times and I brought it back to life with an overnight charge. I did that probably 3 times in 12 months and eventually one day it gave up the ghost. My bad. I was near a holden dealer and drove in and said please check battery. They did and there was a dead cell. They put in another ACDelco battery which have a greater level of CCA than the one from new. I think the original was 600 CCA and the new one was 660 CCA. So a little bit more oomph. Moral of the story for me was drive it more ofter or leave a trickle on it. Lesson learned for me. I must admit I treat it a bit as a garage queen sometimes as I have an old car to drive as well. :)
Ive been accused of owning a garage queen. Only problem is I dont have an older car to use day to day. Walking to reasonably close destinations is great exercise lol

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
Ive been accused of owning a garage queen. Only problem is I dont have an older car to use day to day. Walking to reasonably close destinations is great exercise lol

I am very lucky to have the old car.
The Redline usually lives under a soft car cover
Makes it even more special when I take it out
So much fun to drive

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
A car is not my first choice. I walk, run, ride my MTB, catch a bus or train — I am by no means limited by transport options here in Little Town, unlike when I was in Alice Springs (BTW, I didn't see a single other VF while there over 4 months, but many, many other beat up, 'on their last legs' Commodores, and most of them unregistered, some even stolen, but "who cares!") when it was either the car or foot, and on foot you'd end up with blisters and heatstroke after 1km (the distance from home to work!!).

I'm retiring early in 2021, which means much less travel in Big Red, and more time to clean the bugs off the front!! So embarrassment... :mad: