Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 Brembo Brakes

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
At the last service, the dealer was insistent that my rotors and pads needed replacing. The fronts were apparently so bad that they needed to be done before the next service, and the rears should be done at the next service. They couldn’t provide me with the measurements but assured me they needed doing. They did, however, provide an eye watering quote to replace them.

I did a quick and dirty measurement of the front rotor when I got home. It was a little difficult to do an accurate reading as I simply used a micrometer while the wheel was still on. I measured the rotor at 31.05mm - a little less than 50% worn.

I decided to buy a set of front pads anyway and replaced them about a month or two later.

I’ll let the pictures tell the story...

View attachment 212918View attachment 212919View attachment 212920

Be very careful of dealer’s claims!

Those pads had more than 50% left on them by the looks of it. I would have left them on for another year...
How do those Brembo pads compare to OEM ? Are they ceramic (noting the red shim) ?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Those pads had more than 50% left on them by the looks of it. I would have left them on for another year...
How do those Brembo pads compare to OEM ? Are they ceramic (noting the red shim) ?

Yes, I agree, they could have been left on for another 30,000 ~ 40,000 km. The car had done about 41,000km at that time. I had the replacements on hand before I took out the old pads. It was a bit of a toss up - rotors were at 50% and the pads were at (approximately) 50%. I decided to put in the new pads.

They are ceramic - picture of the box is below.

I haven’t had much opportunity to really see how they compare to the OEM. We’re in lock down in Melbourne and abiding by the recommendations as much as possible. So, other than the occasional trip to take the dog to the vet (and emergency vet), we haven’t been out much at all.

From recollection it took about 100km for the pads to bed in to the rotors, and after that the braking really picked up. They are very OEM-like in feel, and perhaps a bit better. They certainly have a bite under firm braking - the braking feels like it is increasing under heavy braking and heating rather than fading. I was a little concerned that the replacement pads don’t have the weights and that they might squeal. I haven’t noticed any squealing yet, but I did use brake grease on the rear sides of the pads and the grease might be making them quiet (for now?).
F39F1E9F-5376-4377-A25D-D0D9260DF949.jpeg

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director

Yeah my pads currently in the car have less meat than that. They are not squealing yet and I wouldn't let them but that is ridiculous to change then so early

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Yeah my pads currently in the car have less meat than that. They are not squealing yet and I wouldn't let them but that is ridiculous to change then so early

I agree. I was very disappointed that the dealer said they needed replacing immediately - and couldn’t be left until the next service. I’m truely disappointed with the dealer as I now know they were attempting to rip me off.

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2
I take mine to dealer for service because it's still under warranty.
I do interim oil service (4 and a half months) myself and they don't need to know.
I also did brakes myself (prior to Brembo upgrade.

I plan to do work that I can, myself once it's out of warranty unless it is some complicated electronic crap....

I also do all work on our Mazda which in 5 years needed nothing but oil changes/filters and brake pads.
And my old man's 20 year old Toyota that never breaks ;)
Exactly my situation. Under warranty until May. Capped price service. I'll be doing an interim service in January or February with NRMA who will do a full warranty inspection plus a service before I take it back to Suttons and make them change Everything I can

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Yes, I agree, they could have been left on for another 30,000 ~ 40,000 km. The car had done about 41,000km at that time. I had the replacements on hand before I took out the old pads. It was a bit of a toss up - rotors were at 50% and the pads were at (approximately) 50%. I decided to put in the new pads.

They are ceramic - picture of the box is below.

I haven’t had much opportunity to really see how they compare to the OEM. We’re in lock down in Melbourne and abiding by the recommendations as much as possible. So, other than the occasional trip to take the dog to the vet (and emergency vet), we haven’t been out much at all.

From recollection it took about 100km for the pads to bed in to the rotors, and after that the braking really picked up. They are very OEM-like in feel, and perhaps a bit better. They certainly have a bite under firm braking - the braking feels like it is increasing under heavy braking and heating rather than fading. I was a little concerned that the replacement pads don’t have the weights and that they might squeal. I haven’t noticed any squealing yet, but I did use brake grease on the rear sides of the pads and the grease might be making them quiet (for now?).
View attachment 212932

Fair enough.
Ceramic pads generally suffer from lack of initial cold bite...but they should certainly generate less dust that stock pads.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Just for information: Bought front and rear brake pads from Automotive Superstore, Sydney for my VF2 Redline Ute. (75,000km Jan 2020)

DBA DB2358ASP $96.85+GST
DBA DB2206SP $113.22+GST

Took it to my regular tyre shop (Jax) they did the job for $175.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Just for information: Bought front and rear brake pads from Automotive Superstore, Sydney for my VF2 Redline Ute. (75,000km Jan 2020)

DBA DB2358ASP $96.85+GST
DBA DB2206SP $113.22+GST

Took it to my regular tyre shop (Jax) they did the job for $175.

How do they compare to stock ?

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Done 15,000 km since, they are all right, no problem stopping, no fade (with tray loaded), similar dusts as the original pads, no squeals. I tried them for the reason that the rotors need to be replace at next set of pads. So this is "in between" solutions and it works fine. By the way, they are so called "street performance pads", there are other cheaper DBA ones but I thought around $100/set is already very reasonable. :)

Thorby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition Wagon
Just received an email from Dean...….he does use technology Ron !