Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 driver mats unclipping

AzC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Anybody else have the problem of hopping in too quickly and causing the mat to come unclipped?

And what have you guys done about it?

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
The front pair of mats are clipped in firmly to the carpet tabs on both of mine and would require a lot of force to remove.. - did you swap the passenger footwell’s one over (I’m assuming this one doesn’t exhibit a problem) to the driver’s side to see whether it could be a problem with the mat’s holes, or the actual tabs on the carpet?

AzC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Aren't they specifically for a particular front seat, as in the driver's one wouldn't fit right with the passengers area and vice versa due to the cut iht for the pedals?

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Aren't they specifically for a particular front seat, as in the driver's one wouldn't fit right with the passengers area and vice versa due to the cut iht for the pedals?

Absolutely you are right - I was suggesting my method only as a way to try and determine whether it is a fault with your mats or a fault with the clips that come on the carpet. The holes in the mats would be the same size so I was suggesting if you clip the passenger mat on the driver’s side and it doesn’t become unclipped when you hop in, then it sounds like your driver’s mat needs to be replaced.

Of course you can also try hopping into the passenger seat fast and seeing if something similar takes place. I’m not sure how much force is being used but I hurt my thumb the last time I tried to unclip them for cleaning!

AzC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
I see what you're saying.

I just got the car, and the buttons/clips that are sewn into the car floor seem to have too much give in them. That might be the issue. Previous owner could have been a heavy set fella.

Guess I gotta check out someone else's mats and see if their clips are as loose.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Ours are pretty tight & they're 5 years old, but given the car's city usage & the fact it's parked mostly in clean-ish garages the mats catch almost all the dirt & I don't pull them out every time I vacuum. It's constant clipping/unclipping that would wear out those clips in the carpet.

They do seem to fail eventually (I'm talking generally not just the specific ones in the VF), no matter what you do about them. But it'd be nice to get a decade out of them before you cover the eyesore with aftermarket mats … :)

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I've been a bit wary of this because my Old VE had that issue. I think it's a case of just being careful not to drag your feet across the mats when exiting and entering. Ie, you need to make a conscious effort to just 'place' your feet on the mats. Entering is the more problematic one, as we naturally tend to plant one foot and use it as a 'brace' while shimmying in, which tends to create a fair bit of lateral force across the mat.

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
The mats I bought for my VF were a little loose fitting on the factory pegs (the mats weren't genuine, but advertised as better carpet), I wasn't sure whether the clips were the wrong size or my factory pegs were well worn (car bought secondhand).

I've put a small section of black cloth tape (that I already had, bought from Bunnings) on each of the pegs to thicken them slightly and then pushed the mat clips onto them. They are tighter fitting now. It will probably wear and require replacement if I continually pull the mats so I will likely vacuum in situ.