Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 Exhaust set up and tuning for the LS3

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Hey folks....just wondering if anybody could provide any info on the stock exhaust setup on VF2 LS3 from a header perspective? Will there be a need to change engine pipes and intake to squeeze out a bit more hp or will it just need the intake and a tune? If using an OTR will this mean the induction "noisenator" would have to be deleted?

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
I was lucky enough to get a VF2 Redline over the weekend, manual.
The stock exhaust sounds fantastic. Lots of crackle and pop, something I really like. I know that's not to everyone's taste though.

As far as the exhaust layout goes, its the same style header that has been fitted to VE/VF 6L, cats are a slightly different shape and smaller body.
The rest of the exhaust, 2 1/4" SV6 style. Large centre muffler, smaller secondary muffler, rather than two hot dogs. Then you've got the bimodal rears.

With an OTR and tune you'll still gain something over stock, and I doubt you'd be disappointed with the way the car drives or sounds. But ideally, if you're trying to squeeze power out of it, you'd want to chuck headers and cats, along with a floor system on it.

As far as the Sound enhancer pipe goes, you'll have to ditch that with an OTR. Just buy the blanking cover HSV use.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Yeah certainly been a while. I poke around the forum from time to time, but haven't been making any posts.
To clarify, the car was given to me for the weekend, I'm working for Holden these days. Will be placing an order for one in April though and can't wait!
Yeah well end of the day it's got an LS3, doesn't take much to wake them up haha
Are you going manual or auto?

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Had to go Auto (as much as I didn't want to) so the girl is happy. SSV with flappy paddles. Just thinking if I should get a Walky pack (and which one) prior to picking it up.

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
Hey Jarp;
I've been in contact with Mario at Horsepower Factory here in Melbourne, and he's quoting around a 30kw gain with a Walkinshaw OTR and tune, stock exhaust. Price wise $1800, which is the way I'm going once my VF series 2 SS Redline arrives in a couple of weeks.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Hey Jarp;
I've been in contact with Mario at Horsepower Factory here in Melbourne, and he's quoting around a 30kw gain with a Walkinshaw OTR and tune, stock exhaust. Price wise $1800, which is the way I'm going once my VF series 2 SS Redline arrives in a couple of weeks.

Yeah pretty sure this is the way I'm leaning also. Will think about exhaust later on with other mods. Oh was that a 30rwkw or fly?

http://www.hp-f.com.au/catalog/hold...-ii-v8-performance/vfii-v8-345-power-package/

Last edited:

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
If you're looking at getting the dealer to add a pack prior to collection go the W375 pack, full driveline warranty, and changes exhaust, tune and OTR for $6700. Are you thinking about changing up the suspension?

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
The manual is by far the better choice, but the auto is still nice.
You'll be happy with an OTR and tune. If you want a little more without spending much, try and find yourself a set of headers and cats off a Gen F R8 model. The R8s have a 2.5" outlet/Inlet on the headers and cats.
The 2.5" floor section off them isn't bad either, and won't cost much.