Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf2 fail

LyLy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 sv6 ute
Hi All,
I’m new to the forums but like to pass on some info
I have a 2016 vf2 SV6 Ute done 73000km
While driving the timing belt broke and destroyed the motor
Am I just unlucky or does Holden still have timing chain issues with v6 engines and not saying anything

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
There are no known published or anecdotal timing chain issues forward of the Series 1 VF SV6. The issue certainly plagued a few thousand early Series 1 VEs, and certainly a few thousand more within a specific engine serial range, in the preceding model, the VZ.

It would be best for you to refer the incident directly to Holden for addressing.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hi All,
I’m new to the forums but like to pass on some info
I have a 2016 vf2 SV6 Ute done 73000km
While driving the timing belt broke and destroyed the motor
Am I just unlucky or does Holden still have timing chain issues with v6 engines and not saying anything

Just unlucky :(

LyLy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 sv6 ute
There are no known published or anecdotal timing chain issues forward of the Series 1 VF SV6. The issue certainly plagued a few thousand early Series 1 VEs, and certainly a few thousand more within a specific engine serial range, in the preceding model, the VZ.

It would be best for you to refer the incident directly to Holden for addressing.
I’m lucky there is no cost to me
I have 5 year warranty which runs out early next year

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Is that Holden's new car warranty of the Harrier National warranty specific to used cars?

LyLy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 sv6 ute
I bought the Ute brand new

But over many months started have rough idling on and off and the last couple of months had the ESP service light coming on ,
The has been to Holden 2 times for this and not resolved can’t find fault

So i was thinking possibly that when the chain broke these could have the been warning signs

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
ESP (Electronic Stability Program) and related TCS (Traction Control System) are reflected messages from engine fuel management, most often involving one or more injectors leading to misfires, hence the rough idling you speak of, which should be completely absent in the SIDI V6 engines.

When an ESP error message is displayed on the DIC in the centre of the instrument display, it is a follow-on from a fuel management fault, that being an injector, or injectors, plural. Once the fault is tripped, power is cut to the sensors monitoring the wheels under governance of ESP and Traction Control, hence the "SERVICE ESP" message being displayed. I would be very surprised if Holden could not diagnose this easily: DTC codes are generated, and that is a lead-in to the problem area, as would a visible or audible misfire (with the top plastic hood removed).

There is nothing stopping you from taking the car, covered by Holden's new car warranty, to another facility for a "second opinion". So long as those repairs are done by qualified people with approved and matched parts, it does not void or reduce your entitlement to ongoing warranty.