Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 fuel consumption

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Hi All,

Hi All,
I was just crunching some numbers and I thought would be a good idea to share.

upload_2017-1-22_1-18-27.png

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
LS3 for the win!
That's disgusting, if it were my company that is. In dollar terms probably acceptable as an employee doing those few km a week, but as a value proposition for owner driver doing two or three times that mileage the difference in economy is enough to take the glorious, much-lauded 0.2l bigger banger back and shirtfront the dealer make them refit the better engine in. Clearly changing to 98 ain't gonna curb the trend.
View attachment 189568
Given performance difference is immeasurable and the fuel cost over a fraction of its lifetime is tens of thousands more, VF SI may prove a better proposition as a keeper.

Last edited:

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
I recently got 10.1 litres for a 550k country trip sitting on highway speeds. This is about the same as I got in my old VE 6.0 litre without AFM as I do this same trip about twice a year. However, the VF2 seems to be a little bit more thirsty around town than the old 6 litre. Of course you should never buy a V8 for good fuel consumption but I am happy with mine, but I don't drive in heavy city traffic.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
LS3 for the win!
That's disgusting, if it were my company that is. In dollar terms probably acceptable as an employee doing those few km a week, but as a value proposition for owner driver doing two or three times that mileage the difference in economy is enough to take the glorious, much-lauded 0.2l bigger banger back and shirtfront the dealer make them refit the better engine in. Clearly changing to 98 ain't gonna curb the trend.
View attachment 189568
Given performance difference is immeasurable and the fuel cost over a fraction of its lifetime is tens of thousands more, VF SI may prove a better proposition as a keeper.
I'd be really surprised if AFM makes more than 1L/100km difference; on the highway.
Given that most Australians live in the city, that means the only upside to the AFM engines is never used by the vast majority.
Living at Glenwood he'll have some usage at low-throttle & over 80km/h, but not uphill, mostly on weekends; the M4's a car-park on week days.

The significant fuel economy differences between your AFM car & his LS3 car are in aftermarket tune and driving style.

Dagnabbit, now you've made me want to do a few midnight runs from Homebush to Penrith up & down the M4; cruise control, same speed settings, half in Sport mode the other half not, just to compare the differences under controlled conditions. :D

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Daniel, you need to add an average speed Column to your spreadsheet. That way you won't have to guess at city/highway driving mix.
I picked up my SSVR sedan a couple of weeks after your first fill date and also keep a spreadsheet of fuel used.
I have only used BP 98, have travelled 4,341km, average speed of 54.5km/h, average fuel usage of 13.29 L/100km.

Airalistair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Spitfire green MY16 redline Ute with amcat canopy.
Delivery trip for my MY16 auto redline ute, nothing but me and my bag and the tank of alleged dealer "98" in the car.

First leg zupps Browns Plains to filling up at Murrurundi roadhouse - 654km measured on Google maps, this is about as hilly and twisty as highways come in Australia and obviously due to running in the engine I was having a bit of fun with the flappy paddles and giving it a few stabs, a lot of cruise control which is bloody awesome with the torque it just clicks down a gear that smoothly for hills the only reason you know it has is because you see the HUD tacho move a bit and then it maintains bang on the selected speed (which is also advised by the HUD along with the speed zone which was only wrong twice for a few km, everyone on here that hates on the HUD obviously doesn't have one and is jealous) . Also encountered 7 roadworks including one that was a 15 minute wait at least so sat giving it a rev at all of these.

Anyway enough blabbing I put 64.2 litres in to full in Murrurundi so that's 9.8 average.. The tired old manual ve sv6 ute I traded in did about a 9 over the same stretch the opposite direction with me driving like a tight arse and the car being a boring gutless heap. The next step is scone NSW to Mildura, I plan to fill in Parkes and see what the Hay plain brings as the ve was good for 7.5 over this stretch.

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
LS3 for the win!
View attachment 189568

Mate all you see to do lately is bag the s2 ls3, I sense remorse at only having a 6lt.
Those figures arnt that bad considering a couple of things, firstly hes pulling a trailer all day, secondly hes got a car load of tolls in the back. Your much loved and deffended S1 6lt wont do much better then that my friend. I have a S2 with the W375 dont pull a trailer and im getting 13.9lt per 100km. That 15.4lt per 100km isnt that bad all things considered.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Daniel, you need to add an average speed Column to your spreadsheet. That way you won't have to guess at city/highway driving mix.
I picked up my SSVR sedan a couple of weeks after your first fill date and also keep a spreadsheet of fuel used.
I have only used BP 98, have travelled 4,341km, average speed of 54.5km/h, average fuel usage of 13.29 L/100km.

+1, that was exactly my thoughts as I was looking at those numbers. I'm in Sydney as well, so well aware of the difference driving in Sydneys peak to running a car that's used as a weekender where you escape from the city. I rarely use either of my V8's as a commuter. I went out for a drive in my AFM SS yesterday and flipped through the trip computer to see what it is reading - it's showing 10.7 per 100Km, average speed 62Km/h. I noticed with Daniel's fuel consumption, notable improvement after late December as the traffic thins out over the holiday period. My normal commute speed is about 29 or 30 km/h. I used to use an LS1 Calais VXII for the same commute about 5 to 7 years ago in school holidays I could get under 16l/ 100Km (probably 15.7l/ 100km), but once the holidays were over it was around 16.7 l/100km, most likely average speed at that time would have been around 33Km/h

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I'd be really surprised if AFM makes more than 1L/100km difference; on the highway.
Given that most Australians live in the city, that means the only upside to the AFM engines is never used by the vast majority.
Living at Glenwood he'll have some usage at low-throttle & over 80km/h, but not uphill, mostly on weekends; the M4's a car-park on week days.
The significant fuel economy differences between your AFM car & his LS3 car are in aftermarket tune and driving style.

Well yeah, sorta similar comparing LS3's stock 230 rwkw to L77's stock 225 rwkw... off the shop floor there's not much in it. After all who's counting a few thousand bucks a year here and there, coz V8. Irony is L77 is the same V8*
Recently in a thread here (where @Tazzl ponders making an AFM denial dongle potentially adding more or eliminating AFM operation) that you can swap a tune into AFM cars that saves 30%-50% in urban and country driving.
Search YouTube for videos demonstrating AFM cars stop/start in suburbia 50-80 kph averaging 7l/100k according to the DIC. Tune and granny driving, yes, but nothing as extravagant as claiming LS3 makes +34 kW over the L77. Seems from above most that energy goes out the exhaust!
I must make a video showing realtime litres per hour vs kph same time as the calc PID, background of various environmental and driving conditions.
Oh this is all jest BTW, there is not much in power or economy one over the other. Also i essentially rebuilt my L77 for power and economy taking a world of driving (actually 7x world circumnavigation) into account. So grain of salt, if you don't give a toot about an extra few grand a year you're welcome to the belief LS3 with shorter gears makes good sense, economically. Probably as much sense as the performance argument at least!
* apart from being a pube breadth (SAE) bigger either side of bore and on the cam lobe.

Last edited:

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS

Dagnabbit, now you've made me want to do a few midnight runs from Homebush to Penrith up & down the M4; cruise control, same speed settings, half in Sport mode the other half not, just to compare the differences under controlled conditions. :D

Forg, I'd agree with the 1L/100 statement for the AFM cars. On highway trips to Brisbane I seem to get just under 9.0 l/100Km in my AFM SS and around or just under 10.0 in my VX Clubby and also previously an LS1 VX II Calais. Before that, like yourself I had a VS Exec that I bought new in 1997 (about 6 weeks before the VT came out), it too would do just under 10/100 Km on the trip to Brisbane. Actually one trip to Brisbane I drove the Calais and my wife drove the VS and there was nothing in the fuel consumption difference. The smaller fuel tank of the VS just meant it need to stop earlier than the Calais. If I had an LS3 I'd be anticipating it would do about 10l/100Km on the Sydney to Brisbane run. Sadly I don't have one - I'll have to rectify that situation one day!