Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 fuel consumption

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Not right now but once the Koolaid wears off I think it will be much of a muchness, possibly in favour of the better engine.

I think Brabham was being sarcastic...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Pretty sure monstar knows that. :)

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
The trip to Brisbane maybe has many hills? Or was the Exec a V8?
We used to average about 7L/100km in the VS down to Canberra (from Sydney) & back; but that was setting the cruise to dead on 110 (so most traffic except the numpties would go past us & we could sit in the left lane without much need to change), and there's only about one hill. That was an auto Ecomoo though.
Haven't done it in the VF yet.

My VS Exec was a garden variety 3.8 Exec, completely standard car. I've had a couple of other 3.8's before that, a VP II Exec and a VN Exec (the VN was actually a manual). The fuel consumption of the VS is consistent with the others (the VN manual was a probably a little better on fuel than the autos). Noticeable differenece when I went from my VK SL 3.3 manual that I had from new in 1984 - I couldn't even get to Coffs Harbour without filling - probably Nambucca Heads was about as far as I was comfortable with before filling up in that car, and the 3.3 carby VK was 86Kw (I just double checked on Carsales), that's about the same as my 1.6 Fiesta - such is huge advance of fuel injection over the old carby engines. The power levels of engines over time is interesting. Even the 147 to 152 Kw of the 3.8 Ecotec from 1997 to 2004, I notice the new Astra 1.6 turbo (in the RS and RSV model) is 147 Kw, same as the 3.8 in the VS of 20 years ago.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
My VS Exec was a garden variety 3.8 Exec, completely standard car. I've had a couple of other 3.8's before that, a VP II Exec and a VN Exec (the VN was actually a manual). The fuel consumption of the VS is consistent with the others (the VN manual was a probably a little better on fuel than the autos). Noticeable differenece when I went from my VK SL 3.3 manual that I had from new in 1984 - I couldn't even get to Coffs Harbour without filling - probably Nambucca Heads was about as far as I was comfortable with before filling up in that car, and the 3.3 carby VK was 86Kw (I just double checked on Carsales), that's about the same as my 1.6 Fiesta - such is huge advance of fuel injection over the old carby engines. The power levels of engines over time is interesting. Even the 147 to 152 Kw of the 3.8 Ecotec from 1997 to 2004, I notice the new Astra 1.6 turbo (in the RS and RSV model) is 147 Kw, same as the 3.8 in the VS of 20 years ago.

Funny same here first car was the VK 202 auto, think my cammed VE ute is better on the juice than the VK

honestly the VF 2 used a bit more than series 1 VF but who cares.

Loved my VY SV8 M6 tuned and exhaust 8.5L Darwin to Adelaide avg speed 110kms/h

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I shudder at E10, not good for an LS3, luckily my company fuel card let me use at least 91 unleaded and better. Like you, I do a fair bit of k's for work.

I have a VF2 Redline sedan and keep the same sort of data in my phone with the Fuelio app. I drive around Sydney, mixed city and highway.

Whats interesting is that I've recently discovered that I get better economy on the whole from my local BP with 98 ultimate. So I'll stay with BP for a couple tanks and then try a random Caltex again to see if theres a change.

Fuel.jpg

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I shudder at E10, not good for an LS3, luckily my company fuel card let me use at least 91 unleaded and better. Like you, I do a fair bit of k's for work.

I have a VF2 Redline sedan and keep the same sort of data in my phone with the Fuelio app. I drive around Sydney, mixed city and highway.

Whats interesting is that I've recently discovered that I get better economy on the whole from my local BP with 98 ultimate. So I'll stay with BP for a couple tanks and then try a random Caltex again to see if theres a change.

Fuel.jpg
Don't forget you've been using BP98 in January and Sydney traffic flows better - my average speed for my commute for the last few weeks has actually been over 40 Km/h, but 30 Km/h is the norm when it's not holiday time. Keep using BP98 through February and see how the numbers change.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
View attachment 189569 View attachment 189570

Don't really know what your beef with the LS3 is mate, but to put your mind at rest, here are my consumption stats:

I was getting 16.3 /100kms in my old VE L98 on average, compared to the 15.5 you see here in the LS3

The 'best score' of 8.2 l/100kms was on a trip to Canberra and back with the car fully loaded with five people (and associated luggage) aircon on the whole trip and driving around Canberra city (not just freeway driving).

The LS3 is nowhere near as bad as you seem to think.

(Apologies to all for the giant pics..)
The "For 500 km" stats would be more relevant for a trip. My best score for 100 km is 6.0. But that was on an undulating section of the Hume Highway, but essentially a downward gradient. I was alone in the car with limited luggage. Still, to only use 6.0L of 98 for that 100k's was pretty darned good by any measure.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I'm of the understanding that the best score on that screen doesn't relate to the past 100kms? That score was achieved over four months ago and I've done thousands of kms since then. That's the best consumption figures the car has achieved since last reset. The other figure on that screen is the average fuel usage over the last 100kms.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I'm of the understanding that the best score on that screen doesn't relate to the past 100kms? That score was achieved over four months ago and I've done thousands of kms since then. That's the best consumption figures the car has achieved since last reset. The other figure on that screen is the average fuel usage over the last 100kms.
Correct. It's the all time best for any distance of 100k's. So it could be mostly downhill, you could even be coasting downhill in neutral for part of it! The 500k's selection is a better average. Generally the 25k will be a better best score than 100 and 100 will be better than 500...But if you scroll to your all time average (linked to the ODO) that will give you the most accurate consumption.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
A few points
- I forgot to mention that this is my first V8 and I am driving it completely fun oriented, more often than not.
- The VF looks like a good car but I just manage to see them trough the mirrors next to fords struggling with grip and the japs waiting for boost.
- The data first posted came from the fuel receipts, that is the reason i don't have the average speed. I will start logging that on the Torque app

- A more reasonable consumption can be achieved when I behave and there is not much stress at work as the pictures below show.

- The best score on the 25Km average was basically during free fall coming down from Gosford one day. The 17.5 was stuck in traffic coming from work today

25km.jpg

-Ignore he 19.7 on the 100Km average, too much OBD2 hacking during the weekend
100Km.jpg

The 12.1 on the 500Km was during a week that went to Gosford/Wyong(a few hill climbs) return trip everyday.
500km.jpg

-The total average is for the 10000Km
average.jpg