Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 Redline - Manual Gearbox / Diff Issues

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Jimunj, Jan 25, 2016.

1. panhead

panhead Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Cars
    I drove a brand new VE Clubsport home from the dealer (approx. 4km) and parked it in my garage.

The next day I went out to find the gearbox had dropped its lunch (oil) all over my garage floor.

So yes you will occasionally find not everything leaves the factory as perfect as it should be.

It’s been close to a month now since the OP started the thread so it would be interesting to know if he’s taken it back to the dealership for that all important test drive.

From the symptoms he's outlined I do suspect there is some driver error involved but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

2. Danthuyer

Danthuyer Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6
    I would say let the drive line bed in a bit more .... 1500 is nothing

yes you need to give the engine good varying revs to help the rings seal nicely and use a good amount of engine compression as your brake... but give the drive line a chance .....

I recently upgraded my drive line with a T56 magnum in and it didn't really start to free up till 3000+ Km's

However the fact that you are grinding could be of concern ......

3. 6LSSVE

6LSSVE New Member

Members Ride:
    2012 Series II 6 Speed SS Sportswagon
    My MY12 VE SS wagon does exactly the same thing - until I learned to unload torque at slow speed.
    This means, as previously suggested, to make sure you're fully off the loud pedal just prior to using the clutch.
    Matching RPM to speed in essence. This will unload the drivetrain when you get it right and prevent the onset of "kangarooing".
    Remember, it takes a while for these thumpers to wind down even at low RPM.
    My gearbox still is "notchy" between 1st and 2nd - but only when cold these days.

4. last one

last one New Member

Members Ride:
    vf2 Redline MY17 Manual ute with factory 20`s,
    ls3 304
    mate I no this thread is old but just reading this reminded me of a customer that came in the other day asking if I could fix her car as she had a mechanical friend look at it and was told that the gearbox was out of sync. it took me a moment looking at her before I had to walk out the back before I broke out laughing not to embarrass her.some ppl should not be allowed near cars

5. last one

last one New Member

Members Ride:
    vf2 Redline MY17 Manual ute with factory 20`s,
    ls3 304
    mate I no this thread is old but just reading this reminded me of a customer that came in the other day asking if I could fix her car as she had a mechanical friend look at it and was told that the gearbox was out of sync. it took me a moment looking at her before I had to walk out the back before I broke out laughing not to embarrass her.some ppl should not be allowed near cars

6. Davesumner

Davesumner New Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV Redline

I have a 2016 Redline which I've had from new and I haven't ragged it and I also get a little bit of grinding from 1st to 2nd. I sometimes find it doesn't shift into gear correctly if I'm moving fairly slowly like around a tight roundabout. It seems like a synchro issue which I am going to mention at my next service. My car has 35K on the clock so the gearbox isn't tight or new.

VF REDLINE SERIES 11 likes this.
  7. TTubrag

TTubrag Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VFII SSV Redline
    You're spot on Davesumner, and there's nothing the dealer can do but replace the OEM ATF in your manual trans.

This, however, will resolve 90% of your 'synchro issues'... in my experience anyway. :)

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/pro-gear-70w-75-full-syn
    http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Penrite-Pro-Gear-Oil-70W-75-2-5-Litre/396351

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  8. 3rspecB

3rspecB Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
    I had my manual trans in my VF2 replaced under warranty a few months ago. When going into reverse the gear either crunched or didn't even engage and emitted grinding noises. New box is a lot better but doesn't like slow shifts from 2nd to 3rd. I was told by GMH warranty guy to change quicker or rev out 2nd a little more when dwadling along. I've just put the Penrite gear oil in. Much better shift quality.

TTubrag likes this.
  9. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    The factory shifter doesn't really help the 2nd-3rd shift either...

10. 3rspecB

3rspecB Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
    Yeah, I'm looking into short shifter options.

lmoengnr likes this.
  11. TTubrag

TTubrag Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VFII SSV Redline
    I know it's an old thread, but it looks like there's now a definitive answer on the 2nd gear shift problem.

Tremec knows about the 2nd gear shifting resistance, notchiness, crunching issue with the TR6060 box. There is a Tremec manufactured replacement hybrid carbon/metallic syncro that can replace the Tremec OEM carbon synchro. Seems everyone who's made the change has had success with it. Part is cheap. Labour is not.

Tremec replacement part number for TR6060 is: TUES11858.
    If you're going down this path, obviously confirm correct part number for your car before purchase.

More info:
    Tremec 6060 2nd Gear Grind Issue Repair
    https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412240

1_2 Shift Grind with GT500 and the TR6060_Mystery Solved

(Key details at 1min and 10mins if you're not into killing time).

I used to get the problem in winter and when the box was cold for the first few shifts after starting the car. Dropping the GM OEM ATF fluid and replacing with Penrite Pro Gear 70-75w really improved the shift quality. It's not an issue for me now so don't need to go any further with it, but thought this info might be a useful reference for others.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    panhead likes this.
  12. BlaserF3

BlaserF3 New Member

Members Ride:
    2015 VF/S1 SS Storm Ute - quite warmed up
    My 2015 VF/SS didn't shift smoothly from 1-2 with 38k on the clock until I drained the factory fill and put in Penrite full Syn Pro gear 70-75. It's spec'd for Tremec manual trans. It did help immensely! Will never be a silky smooth shift but a whole lot better now!

13. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    Does everyone else have to slip the clutch while reversing or taking off from a driveway in 1st while cold?

14. panhead

Members Ride:
    Cars
    I don't

15. EternityDre

EternityDre Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MSE #385
    Man this is a nostalgic thread. Pre-MSE days when I drove a VE, had a deposit down on a Redline, test drove a LSA R8, then argued with the dealer that there was a MSE coming and it would be better than the clubby for less money. The dealer swore the MSE would never get MRC, at that time it was only on the GTS. I changed my deposit to the MSE before it was officially announced. Best thing I ever did!

Like others, I get a crunchy gearbox in 2nd and 3rd sometimes but suffice to say the trans is a beauty most of the time, just have to warm it up, drive a bit harder and change gears quickly.

3rspecB likes this.
  16. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    If I dont it will lurch badly at low speeds hence reverse. Seems to be worse on initial startup or backing up my driveway.

17. dgp

dgp Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    I don’t either. I can just ease the clutch out and idle off without throttle.

18. panhead

Members Ride:
    Cars
    I'm the same when moving it in and out of the garage, I just idle it out.

Changing cogs can feel a little rough at times compared to some of the smoother boxes out there particularly when cold but the clutch is smooth and works fine.

BlaserF3 likes this.
  19. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    I'll have to try idle. went to do it this morning and yeah needed clutch but that with a light throttle. Can roll out in neutral but its slow and feels awkward not in gear ready to roll on the road.

Edit: tried idle reverse and it stalls because I can't go fast enough for idle without clutch. Gonna just roll down in gear full depressed clutch from now on.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  20. Unicorn

Unicorn Member

Members Ride:
    2013 vf ssv wagon
    Sounds like the 6 speed manual in my then brand new 2012 turbo fg ute,absolutely rubbish,notchy,noisy,hard to change gears etc.
    The qc on the tremec boxes is lacking,a decent blueprinting/shimming of the box from someone who knows what they are doing and they are miles better,some were getting them done from almost brand new on the fg turbos/gt.
    We ended up getting ford/tremec to shim/blueprint our gearbox and it fixed the issues.
    Do holden still really use the t56? surely not?