Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 Redline - Manual Gearbox / Diff Issues

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I drove a brand new VE Clubsport home from the dealer (approx. 4km) and parked it in my garage.

The next day I went out to find the gearbox had dropped its lunch (oil) all over my garage floor.

So yes you will occasionally find not everything leaves the factory as perfect as it should be.

It’s been close to a month now since the OP started the thread so it would be interesting to know if he’s taken it back to the dealership for that all important test drive.

From the symptoms he's outlined I do suspect there is some driver error involved but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I would say let the drive line bed in a bit more .... 1500 is nothing

yes you need to give the engine good varying revs to help the rings seal nicely and use a good amount of engine compression as your brake... but give the drive line a chance .....

I recently upgraded my drive line with a T56 magnum in and it didn't really start to free up till 3000+ Km's

However the fact that you are grinding could be of concern ......

6LSSVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 Series II 6 Speed SS Sportswagon
My MY12 VE SS wagon does exactly the same thing - until I learned to unload torque at slow speed.
This means, as previously suggested, to make sure you're fully off the loud pedal just prior to using the clutch.
Matching RPM to speed in essence. This will unload the drivetrain when you get it right and prevent the onset of "kangarooing".
Remember, it takes a while for these thumpers to wind down even at low RPM.
My gearbox still is "notchy" between 1st and 2nd - but only when cold these days.

last one

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 Redline MY17 Manual ute with factory 20`s,
ls3 304
mate I no this thread is old but just reading this reminded me of a customer that came in the other day asking if I could fix her car as she had a mechanical friend look at it and was told that the gearbox was out of sync. it took me a moment looking at her before I had to walk out the back before I broke out laughing not to embarrass her.some ppl should not be allowed near cars

last one

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 Redline MY17 Manual ute with factory 20`s,
ls3 304
mate I no this thread is old but just reading this reminded me of a customer that came in the other day asking if I could fix her car as she had a mechanical friend look at it and was told that the gearbox was out of sync. it took me a moment looking at her before I had to walk out the back before I broke out laughing not to embarrass her.some ppl should not be allowed near cars

Davesumner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Afternoon all, just wanted to run this past some members as you will have more technical knowledge than I. Car is a VF2 Redline, manual trans, 1500km on the clock.

1 - When shifting hard from 1st to 2nd (manual trans) over 5k RPM, I seem to have a slight grind of the gears. Yes my foot is to the floor on the clutch. Has anyone else had this? Is this the syncro not lining up fast enough?? It's done it a few times and I'm very worried about leaving the transmission behind me on the on ramp.

2 - When under load in 1st (as in I've backed off and am letting the revs drop without my foot on the brake), as I depress the clutch the car thumps. It's very similar to what my 10 year old XR6T used to do. I am thinking this is not normal for a car with 1500 km's on it.

Brought it up with the dealership this morning as I was there for my first service, but didn't have time to take it for a test drive with the service manager. Service manager advised a small 'thump' is normal as the whole drivetrain tends to move. I said it only does it sometimes when it seems to be in the 'sweet spot'.

Either way I'm pretty unimpressed that a new car has these issues. I know it's not a high end Benz so I can't expect 'hand made' workmanship, but I do expect better than this from a spanking new car with a pricetag in excess of $50k.

Would love to hear others experiences and if these are normal for others.

Cheers,
Jim

I have a 2016 Redline which I've had from new and I haven't ragged it and I also get a little bit of grinding from 1st to 2nd. I sometimes find it doesn't shift into gear correctly if I'm moving fairly slowly like around a tight roundabout. It seems like a synchro issue which I am going to mention at my next service. My car has 35K on the clock so the gearbox isn't tight or new.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
...I also get a little bit of grinding from 1st to 2nd. I sometimes find it doesn't shift into gear correctly if I'm moving fairly slowly like around a tight roundabout. It seems like a synchro issue which I am going to mention at my next service. My car has 35K on the clock so the gearbox isn't tight or new.

You're spot on Davesumner, and there's nothing the dealer can do but replace the OEM ATF in your manual trans.

This, however, will resolve 90% of your 'synchro issues'... in my experience anyway. :)

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/pro-gear-70w-75-full-syn
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Penrite-Pro-Gear-Oil-70W-75-2-5-Litre/396351

Last edited:

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
I had my manual trans in my VF2 replaced under warranty a few months ago. When going into reverse the gear either crunched or didn't even engage and emitted grinding noises. New box is a lot better but doesn't like slow shifts from 2nd to 3rd. I was told by GMH warranty guy to change quicker or rev out 2nd a little more when dwadling along. I've just put the Penrite gear oil in. Much better shift quality.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I had my manual trans in my VF2 replaced under warranty a few months ago. When going into reverse the gear either crunched or didn't even engage and emitted grinding noises. New box is a lot better but doesn't like slow shifts from 2nd to 3rd. I was told by GMH warranty guy to change quicker or rev out 2nd a little more when dwadling along. I've just put the Penrite gear oil in. Much better shift quality.
The factory shifter doesn't really help the 2nd-3rd shift either...