Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 Redline towing and oil use

mbiondo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I have a VF2 Redline manual that is a bit of a garage queen, but does come out for some spirited runs on occasion. At least twice a year, the car is used to tow the family camping trailer, just a 6x4 trailer that is boxed and carries all our camping stuff and is fully loaded. I checked the oil after our last camping trip (Australia Day weekend just passed) and noticed that the LS3 had consumed a little bit of oil. Still over the full mark on the dipstick (The Holden dealer always seems to overfill it slightly), but I've learnt where the oil level normally sits at and its definitely dropped after the camping trip. The roads were quite hilly so the engine did have to work harder than normal on parts of the trip. Just wondering if this normal and if I would expect a little oil consumption when towing. Car is due for a service in 2 weeks, has done about 6000kms since its last service, this is the first time i've noticed some oil use.

Cheers

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
How many KMs, might not be run in yet? Pulled the heads off my 30k l98 for cam/lifter swap and still hone marks in bores

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
An engine is designed to use oil. Probably a litre every 15k kms. Some cars even more.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
This is normal / expected

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
I have a VF2 Redline manual that is a bit of a garage queen, but does come out for some spirited runs on occasion. At least twice a year, the car is used to tow the family camping trailer, just a 6x4 trailer that is boxed and carries all our camping stuff and is fully loaded. I checked the oil after our last camping trip (Australia Day weekend just passed) and noticed that the LS3 had consumed a little bit of oil. Still over the full mark on the dipstick (The Holden dealer always seems to overfill it slightly), but I've learnt where the oil level normally sits at and its definitely dropped after the camping trip. The roads were quite hilly so the engine did have to work harder than normal on parts of the trip. Just wondering if this normal and if I would expect a little oil consumption when towing. Car is due for a service in 2 weeks, has done about 6000kms since its last service, this is the first time i've noticed some oil use.

Cheers
lve got a ls1 and notice the same when the car is under load. I have resurched all possibilities and one that is generally disregarded is the fact that full synthetic oil will & does evaperate but maintain viscosity so a top up is the norm. Most people just bag the engine!!! Or put semi synthetic thinking it will help. If your going to keep the beast and do some hard yard driving look at a mobile 1 5 50w full synthetic for example in my opinion.

mbiondo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
lve got a ls1 and notice the same when the car is under load. I have resurched all possibilities and one that is generally disregarded is the fact that full synthetic oil will & does evaperate but maintain viscosity so a top up is the norm. Most people just bag the engine!!! Or put semi synthetic thinking it will help. If your going to keep the beast and do some hard yard driving look at a mobile 1 5 50w full synthetic for example in my opinion.

Yeah the Redline is not going anywhere, its a keeper, such a nice car. Its still under warranty and the dealer is using a Castrol Full Synth 5w40. I've always been a Penrite fan, use it in my other cars. But I doubt very much that they will use the oil that I want :).

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Yeah the Redline is not going anywhere, its a keeper, such a nice car. Its still under warranty and the dealer is using a Castrol Full Synth 5w40. I've always been a Penrite fan, use it in my other cars. But I doubt very much that they will use the oil that I want :).
l was a penrite consumer for 10 years but a mineral application. When l perchased the ls1 first thing oil dump and penrite full syn. I noticed temp fluctuation and a noisy valve train, changed to mobile 3 years ago and 50,000km later and havnt looked back, 45 deg day aircon on towing and the engine just purs.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
@mbiondo -- most likely your engine was running a bit hotter than usual due to the weather and having to work hard pulling the fully-loaded trailer, so any water present in the oil as condensate, which most engines have from short trips and cold running, would have boiled off. Thus the oil level at the end of the trip would appear to have dropped. This is perfectly normal, as is the consumption of some oil (such as between the "full" and "fill" marks on the dipstick) between services.

Just be thankful you don't own an old Jag - those engines were designed to positively slurp oil at the rate of about a pint every 400 miles!

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Pretty normal for LS engines to use oil mate they all do it to some degree it gets pushed thru the pcv system and back into the air intake, if you were to remove your air intake pipe and look inside the throttle body and manifold you’ll see all the oily residue there can be fixed by installing an aftermarket oil catch can