Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 S2 Redline wheels - 2 versions?

Ooby Dooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Redline Sportswagon
Hi Everyone,
I'm hoping someone is able to help - I recently purchased a 2nd set of Black VF2 S2 Redline wheels for my 2017 Redline Sportswagon & while the new set looks the same as my OEM wheels on the outside, they are different on the inside.

After searching, I've found the stamping on the new set (see pic below) looks identical to a forged Alcoa 2014/15 SS Redline wheel - with slightly different numbers (which would make sense being different style), but I haven't been able to find confirmation that Alcoa made the VF2 S2 style wheels.

I'm somewhat confident (hopeful?) they are bona-fide Alcoa/GM manufactured early 2015, but would appreciate if anyone has any info - Cheers :)

Inside Alcoa code
inside forged 2.jpg

Outside Alcoa
wheel.jpg

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
What were the new wheels purchased as, and from where?
Don’t forget that the late VF SSVR wheels look nearly identical to the VF2 ones, with barely perceptible differences unless you put them next to each other; and the VF ones are forged. Can you compare weight, or does one complete set have tyres & the other complete set doesn’t?

I would expect that March 2015 was very early for production of wheels for a car (VF2) which wasn’t released until October 2015 ... would be surprised if those aren’t VF wheels.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Put the bare wheel on some scales, if it weighs approx 10-11kg, it is a forged wheel, certainly looks like it by the markings.
My VF II SSVR wheels (Oct 16 build car), don't have those markings on the inside.
I did have a couple of sets of forged series I wheels that were stamped similar to the one you have posted.
Great pick up, where did you get them?

Ooby Dooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Redline Sportswagon
Thanks heaps guys - you've pretty much nailed it for me. Checked the original purchase & it was for New VF SSV - & as Forg pointed out, the pics looked identical to mine, so assumed they were. Weighed the 8.5 on the bathroom scale & got 11kg - also it looks exactly like the 2014/15 SS on the inside spokes (just a different pattern), so that's confirmed it for me. You've made my day with that guys - & nice bonus they are forged :)

FYI - Got them from Sydneywheels via Ebay - came in boxes as new, with the correct GM wheel stickers & plastic wrap over the faces - so had no reason to think they weren't bona-fide, was just missing your help/knowledge. Cheers

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Hi Everyone,
I'm hoping someone is able to help - I recently purchased a 2nd set of Black VF2 S2 Redline wheels for my 2017 Redline Sportswagon & while the new set looks the same as my OEM wheels on the outside, they are different on the inside.
After searching, I've found the stamping on the new set (see pic below) looks identical to a forged Alcoa 2014/15 SS Redline wheel - with slightly different numbers (which would make sense being different style), but I haven't been able to find confirmation that Alcoa made the VF2 S2 style wheels.
I'm somewhat confident (hopeful?) they are bona-fide Alcoa/GM manufactured early 2015, but would appreciate if anyone has any info - Cheers :)
Inside Alcoa code
View attachment 204237
Outside Alcoa
View attachment 204238

What you have is MY15 VF1 SSvR wheels. Forged by Alcoa, same company which made the MY14 VF1 SSvR forged wheels.

MY16/17 VF2, the SSvR wheels went to a cast wheel but kept very similar design.

I personally own a set of each OE forged VF1 SSvR wheels along with my VF2 cast rims. The MY14 VF1 SSvR rims are the lightest, then MY15 VF1 SSvR rims and the MY16/17 VF2 cast rims are the heaviest. I did weigh them but can't find my paperwork. I think I posted on this forum along with pics. The forged OE rims are around 2 to 2.5kgs lighter per wheel then the cast rims.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/larger-wheel-diameter-slower-acceleration.274530/page-3

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I have a set of both wheels too and when I posted I had a set of Forged wheels for the SS on this forum, no one believed me. I believe a large qty of wheels were released to the public for sale. They look nearly the same but the outer edge is different and the inner is different. One set made in USA and the other made in Thailand.

franco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN,VP,VX II,VFII
So I assume forged wheels are lighter and stronger than the cast ones.
If so I want forged ones now for my VF2 2016, who has them as 2 to 2.5 kg each end is a big difference.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
So I assume forged wheels are lighter and stronger than the cast ones.
If so I want forged ones now for my VF2 2016, who has them as 2 to 2.5 kg each end is a big difference.

How much do you want to pay? :)

Ooby Dooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Redline Sportswagon
Thanks for further confirmation & info guys, much appreciated - so happy they are a bona-fide production run, plus forged to boot :)

@ Franco - I got them from Sydneywheels via Ebay, just checked & they have the same ad running = "4X BRAND NEW GENUINE HOLDEN VF SSV REDLINE 2018 19" WHEELS". Cheers

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
anyone have gen f rim and any idea on weight?