Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SS - Black edition

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
OEM intake back on :) Let's see how long this stays. The intent is for it to stay for good

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240418_144217_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240418_144217_Gallery.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20240418_144210_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240418_144210_Gallery.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20240418_144204_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240418_144204_Gallery.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 27

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
IRT power, the only real difference to a slightly modified engine and a aftermarket intake is some induction noise, and a hit to your wallet, it has been proven many times in back to back testing

And even on a highly tuned or slightly boosted engine with a stock throttle body, a smooth intake tube and some minor (unseen) modifications to the standard air box will give you all the air flow that you need, plus, with the airbox mods, some nice induction noise

Really, the only time I've seen a restriction in a intake is with really high power/rpm engine

Back to back testing on my LS1 with a Harrop 2300 (running 7 psi) showed a negligible difference when tuning and doing power runs, that is running the large Harrop throttle body and Harrop intake tube to the OEM modified airbox with a K&N filter than when we ran it without the intake connected, or with the K&N and lid removed, and by negligible I mean a Kw or 2, which was well within back to back testing error

One, or two points of note: my IAT was higher with the intake tube removed, and then with the lid and filter removed with the intake tube connected, because it was sucking hot air straight out of the engine bay (all testing was with the bonnet closed), it was also higher at low speeds with a VCM OTR than the modified airbox because at low speeds the OTR was pulling some air from the radiator stack

I did try a Mace airbox, but, it didn't seal out the engine bay heat as good as the modified OEM airbox does, so that went.......
images (8).jpeg

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
IRT power, the only real difference to a slightly modified engine a aftermarket intake is some induction noise, and a hit to your wallet, it has been proven many times in back to back testing

And even on a highly tuned boosted engine with a stock throttle body, a smooth intake tube and some minor (unseen) modifications to the standard air box will give you all the air flow that you need, plus, with the airbox mods, some nice induction noise

Really, the only time I've seen a restriction in a intake is with really high power/rpm engine

Back to back testing on my LS1 with a Harrop 2300 showed a negligible difference when tuning and doing power runs running the Harrop intake tube to the OEM modified airbox with a K&N filter than when we ran it without the intake connected, or with the K&N and lid removed, and by negligible I mean a Kw or 2

One, or two point of note: my IAT was higher with the intake tube removed, and then with the lid and filter removed because it was sucking hot air straight out of the engine bay, it was also higher at low speeds with a VCM OTR than the modified airbox

I did try a Mace airbox, but, it didn't seal out the engine bay heat as good as the modified OEM airbox does, so that went.......View attachment 266873
I think you are right.

My car was specifically dyno tuned with Rotofab intake and picked up 25rwkw. I suspect even with stock intake it would be similar.

I am keeping the tune as it's better than standard and with airbox change I can't tell any difference in everyday driving conditions. Just different induction noise obviously.

In saying that I could tell the difference with OTR. It picked up 45rwkw and more torque so I did felt torque/power drop by going back to non otr setup.

Oem looks is not the best looking, but that's fine.

Last edited: