Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SSV Bolt ons.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Hey guys, I currently have a VF2 SSV LS3.
Was supposed to do some upgrades last year but was away overseas in Greece and got back about a month ago.
Currently have a custom tune + otr.
It went from 208rwkw to 246rwkw & from 542.4NM to 596.1NM torque.
I see alot of people with the same car are getting full exhaust systems with a tune and otr resulting in 295-300rwkw.
Im looking to upgrade my exhaust to a full exhaust with either 1 3/4 headers or 1 7/8 headers along with high flow cats & 2.5 inch cat back with bimodals.
Correct me if im wrong but i cant see how im going to achieve a 50rwkw gain to reach 295rwkw with upgrading to a full exhaust and retune. Is it possible?
Im looking for more bottom end torque and more responsiveness so are the 1 7/8 headers ok for that or should i go 1 3/4??
I hope there will be decent gains cause cost is close to $5k for full exhaust & retune.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The reality is that wheel dynos are notoriously inaccurate, and are often tweaked to make the person who just paid money for the mods feel better.

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
The reality is that wheel dynos are notoriously inaccurate, and are often tweaked to make the person who just paid money for the mods feel better.
Look at walkinshaw they all seem to make more power than anyone else.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
@Jackel get 4-2-1 try y for street, 1 7/8 for drag strip, definitely a full exhaust with either 100cpi ballisitic for longevity or just some 200 substrates for less smell. as others have said dont woy too much about the tune. The gain is important but the final figure not. just go to one of the best shops.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
400 odd rear wheel hp with a mild streetable cam,full exhaust,otr and tune is pretty close to real world figures going by vcm results,on an auto ls3.
100 cell cats do really stink at traffic lights:) you get used to it though.
Can get up around 450 rear wheel hp with a much bigger cam(not real streetable,high stall,diff gears territory)
I highly recommend diff gears,3.7 gears in my 6.0 vf wagon,goes great,pick up close to half a second on the quarter over the stock 2.92 gears(auto) 2000rpm at 100kph.
Diff gears dont give you bottom end torque but help immensely with takeoff and in gear acceleration,despite what some people say they dont rev their arse off at 100kph and they pull hard at freeway speeds under hard acceleration.
The ls3 has a much bigger stock cam than the 6.0 and tbh they are under geared from the factory,built for economy somewhat thats why they are sluggy down low.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
400 odd rear wheel hp with a mild streetable cam,full exhaust,otr and tune is pretty close to real world figures going by vcm results,on an auto ls3.
100 cell cats do really stink at traffic lights:) you get used to it though.
Can get up around 450 rear wheel hp with a much bigger cam(not real streetable,high stall,diff gears territory)
I highly recommend diff gears,3.7 gears in my 6.0 vf wagon,goes great,pick up close to half a second on the quarter over the stock 2.92 gears(auto) 2000rpm at 100kph.
What is 400 rear wheel hp in terms of rear wheel kilowatts?

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Around 300kw at the tyres
Dont get caught up in top end hp readouts,they vary greatly from dyno to dyno and dont mean much at all just bragging rights,its the low end torque on the street that matters,how it pulls down low,once you get into the revs where its making that top end hp you are already way past breaking the law,thats why i always go diff gears and make it as fun as possible down low and to 100kph.

Last edited:

Ryan_044

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VFII Redline A6
All dyno's are different and although the actual before and after numbers look to be around 30(ish) rwkw lower than what you would normally see - the gain seems to be consistent for the mods you have. My understanding is the biggest gain is from an OTR and Tune - with a full exhaust adding maybe only about 10-15rwkw. If your happy with the way it sounds I wouldn't worry too much about changing the exhaust as it wouldn't give you much more power.

How does it feel now though compared to stock?

Whereabouts did you get it tuned and is it on 98 or 91?