Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SSV Bolt ons.

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Best mod you can do is bolt on a supercharger or twin turbo.
Big jump from going from a full exhaust to compressed air. There's a reason why cam heads worked engine is a building block to boost.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
Is it possible to find a mild cam that doesnt give that lumpy idle so idles like stock including 100% manners?
And will such a mild cam improve the bottom end?

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Is it possible to find a mild cam that doesnt give that lumpy idle so idles like stock including 100% manners?
I think that is called a stage 1 stock cam lol . All reputable performance places / camshaft sellers have near stock like cams available with excellent manners and a tuner can help with idle and manners as well but you will want exhaust and air intake first as well as a tune after but I have seen disappointment with going to small as well as to big remembering the tune will help and they basically cost the same which is quite a lot in saying all that the best cam is the one that has been matched the the flow of the heads. End of story

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
I think that is called a stage 1 stock cam lol . All reputable performance places / camshaft sellers have near stock like cams available with excellent manners and a tuner can help with idle and manners as well but you will want exhaust and air intake first as well as a tune after but I have seen disappointment with going to small as well as to big remembering the tune will help and they basically cost the same which is quite a lot in saying all that the best cam is the one that has been matched the the flow of the heads. End of story
Anyone/shop that uses the word "stage" has no idea what they are taking about, if your looking for a small cam talk to the shop/tuner and ask what the cam specs are and explain them to you, ive seen a top end destroyed because the person wanted a "stage 3" cam and had no idea what they were getting!

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline

Think half of that lumpy idol is due to the tune as well. Id do some search options in the search bar at the top.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Any cam with more lift and duration than a stock cam will have less bottom end than the stock cam.
Lots of cam installers quote no noticeable loss of bottom end but they are pretty much lying.
Small cams give small gains which i personally think are a waste of time for the $$$$$ involved.
Been there done that,any minimal power gains are outweighed by loss of bottom end torque/driveability.
Just my personal experience.
For example,even the slightly larger than stock ls3 factory cam needs 3.2 diff gears because with 2.92 gears it would be an absolute slug off the line.
So even if you install the smallest cam you can find youll need diff gears at a minimum if you want it to feel peppy/not sluggy off the line.

Last edited:

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Any cam with more lift and duration than a stock cam will have less bottom end than the stock cam.
Lots of cam installers quote no noticeable loss of bottom end but they are pretty much lying.
Small cams give small gains which i personally think are a waste of time for the $$$$$ involved.
Been there done that,any minimal power gains are outweighed by loss of bottom end torque/driveability.
Just my personal experience.
For example,even the slightly larger than stock ls3 factory cam needs 3.2 diff gears because with 2.92 gears it would be an absolute slug off the line.
So even if you install the smallest cam you can find youll need diff gears at a minimum if you want it to feel peppy/not sluggy off the line.
VF2 have lower diff ratios from factory

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hey guys, I currently have a VF2 SSV LS3.
Was supposed to do some upgrades last year but was away overseas in Greece and got back about a month ago.
Currently have a custom tune + otr.
It went from 208rwkw to 246rwkw & from 542.4NM to 596.1NM torque.
I see alot of people with the same car are getting full exhaust systems with a tune and otr resulting in 295-300rwkw.
Im looking to upgrade my exhaust to a full exhaust with either 1 3/4 headers or 1 7/8 headers along with high flow cats & 2.5 inch cat back with bimodals.
Correct me if im wrong but i cant see how im going to achieve a 50rwkw gain to reach 295rwkw with upgrading to a full exhaust and retune. Is it possible?
Im looking for more bottom end torque and more responsiveness so are the 1 7/8 headers ok for that or should i go 1 3/4??
I hope there will be decent gains cause cost is close to $5k for full exhaust & retune.
208rwks factory is very low for a LS3 assuming it's a auto that's a 6l number.