Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SSV wheel studs snapping

TBon1986

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Phantom Black VF2 SSV Redline Auto
Hi all

I own a 2017 vf2 ssv redline and was driving home the other day when I heard a noise coming from the rear left. Made it home 2 mins later and noticed 3 out of the 5 of my rear left wheel had sheared off completely! I can only put this down to the guy at Pedders either over tightening the wheel nuts when they put the coil over suspension in 6 months ago.

Anyway, got the wheel studs and nuts from Holden which of course we're of course on back order which I had to wait a week for. Then limped my car upto the local Ultratune which is 300m up the road. The guy booked my car in and asked me to be back by 4 o'clock to pick it up as the job will only take an hour which will cost me about 130 bucks. He calls me at 2pm and tells me that he doesn't know how to remove the stud as it's different to older Commodores.

Does anyone know why this job seems to be so hard? It's booked in at another mechanic tomorrow but his response was 'there must have been a reason Ultratune couldn't fix it'. If the next bloke can't do it I'd have to limp the car down to the local Holden service centre which is 5 k down the road but don't want to cause anymore damage.

Cheers

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
dealer job.. or a switched on mechanic

needs the wheel hub flange removed from the drive shaft
(needs a special puller to avoid driveshaft damage)
and once the flange is off... on the bench, use a special tool
(like a tie rod removal tool) to press the stud out the back
of the wheel flange

install..? this is the easy bit, use a hardened washer under the wheel stud
nut (to prevent damage to the wheel wheel flange) and pull the new
stud thru using the wheel nut

Seat the stud by tightening the wheel nut to a MINIMUM of 120 ft/lbs
(170nm)

re-install wheel flange...

hth

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'd have to limp the car down to the local Holden service centre which is 5 k down the road but don't want to cause anymore damage

Needs more....

osborne-towing-bayswater-6053-image.jpg