Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SSV2 Towbar Questions

normalguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
I'm new on this forum so please take it easy. So I bought a VF2 SSV Wagon after driving a Nissan 350z for several years.

I looked at the brand Hayman Reece towbar and liked those hitch receivers with the removal ball mount.

I called up a reseller/installer and made a time to bring the car into their shop.
Over the phone the installer asked if I wanted a heavy duty or a light duty tow bar because they are the sets they come in.
I responded by saying all I needed it for bike racks, small towing and so we agreed the light duty might be the appropriate. Mind you I have no idea about towbars either I just tried to describe what I wanted over the phone and felt I was could find a better deal/product than Holden had to offer.

Dropped my car off, went to pick it up this afternoon and never have a felt so crap. I got the wrong towbar!

He agreed they will change it for me but wont have the towbar in for another day or two.

Could I ask the forum for some help?

Is the Heavy Duty 03022RW correct to install?
If so how do I cover up the plastic that they have torn through?

Below I have the attached images with the result:

- Wrong towbar Hayman Reece Light Duty part Product 03025W
- Zoom to see the awful cut job through the bumper

20160322_190547.jpg20160322_190552.jpg

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
You can't blame the dealer if you did this over the phone. Years ago when I had a towbar installed I had the dealer show me the various products when I dropped the car off and could pick the one I wanted visually. I also wanted it purely for the bike rack and chose the heavy duty one so I could remove the hitch as I preferred it that way.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
If they fitted the wrong tow bar then it is up to them to repair or in this case replace the entire damaged section at no cost to you.

I hope you did the sensible thing when placing the order and at the end of the phone conversation you asked them to confirm the order through an email or something as that way you have a record of them getting it wrong.

A record makes it so much easier when there is a dispute.

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon
Looking at the pictures, they have fitted a 1200kg tow pack.

The one you want is the the 1600kg/2100kg pack.

The 50x50mm receiver of the HD towpack protrudes past the bumper/valance by a fair amount (couple of inches).
You also find that with the receiver protruding, the actual cut out might not be anywhere near as bad as you might think.
They should also fit a rim strip around the cut out to tidy it up.

My mate has on fitted on his sedan, and I have on fitted on my sportswagon.
Here's a picture of one fitted to a sedan and wagon

Attachments

• Kimmee Towbar.jpg
    Kimmee Towbar.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 2,956
  • towbar.jpg
    towbar.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 2,639

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
If they fitted the wrong tow bar then it is up to them to repair

They didn't fit the wrong tow bar, he agreed to the light one:

I responded by saying all I needed it for bike racks, small towing and so we agreed the light duty might be the appropriate.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
A work colleague just had a genuine Holden 2100kg bar fitted to their sport wagon for $800 plus change.

Plonker

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SSV Redline Ute & 2016 SSV Redline Sedan
A work colleague just had a genuine Holden 2100kg bar fitted to their sport wagon for $800 plus change.

I had the Heavy Duty towbar fitted to my Ute at Paul Wakeling Holden for $800 when they did the 3000k inspection, Alto wanted $1,100 to fit it as an accessory when I bought the car. Wakelings even threw in a set of floor mats :p

Snicko1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Wagon
That's where you went wrong. If you stick to Holden genuine products you cant go wrong. Sometimes they cost just that little bit more, but the end result is not what you have posted.

Pretty sure Hayman Reese make teh genuine towbars also!

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon

Common mistake by many. I've just been through this with Holden.......
2100kg and 1600kg are the same towbar frame, but auto (2100kg max) and manual (1600kg max) cars have different ratings. When you buy a 2100kg HD tow pack (auto only) from Holden, you get the load distribution Hitch (which is a circa $1400 Holden)

If your mate paid $800 for a towbar, I'll guarantee it's a 1600kg kit without the load distribution hitch.