Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Factory Black Roof Option

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
I stand Corrected about green!

From the Brochure ---- Phantom black roof (available on Red Hot, Jungle Green and Heron White)------

But agreed. Disappointing quality from the factory. I will be considering when ordering in the next few months

Cheers

One dealer has a green one on the showroom floor with black roof. Should I dare him to remove the plastic cover so he can show me how to fit the roof racks on?!?! :rofl2:

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just got back from my tour of HVO at Elizabeth. If you order a car with black roof, it goes back into paint shop to get painted (not at HEC) The plastic strips are painted by a supplier and I raised the issue with a Technician at HVO this morning who is going to pass on the pictures I supplied of the black paint coming away at the tabs. But he said with less than 12 months left of manufacturing they probably wont bother about fixing the problem. He said the only things that get done at HEC are the towbars and decals/stripes.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don't understand, it looked like the plastic strips were painted at the same time as the roof? Isn't the gap between the plastic & metal filled with paint?

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't understand, it looked like the plastic strips were painted at the same time as the roof? Isn't the gap between the plastic & metal filled with paint?

No, I watched it on the production line. The car goes back for a second time and is all masked up and painted again with black roof before entering GA. The turret section is painted black along with the roof in paint shop then the piece of plastic goes on top of that which is also painted black. Goes on the same time as front and rear windows.

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I appreciate the thread guys, it's only because of this thread I knew to look at the black roof on the redline I just bought.

It's funny, I subtly pointed it out to the sales manager when we were looking over the car (and negotiating) and he swore they wouldn't have painted over the covers. Went as far as to bet me his salary......

But lo and behold they have clearly painted over the covers. We looked at a standard black SS which of course has matte black plastic strips/covers so no issue there, and after checking another redline on the lot, it had been painted perfectly. Its covers were easily removable, and correctly painted underneath, perhaps it depends on the particular lazy ass worker?

On mine, I couldn't actually get the covers off because I could see the paint on them, and the beginnings of cracks. The sales manager tried and then gave me some bull about it probably just being dirt. None the less he agreed it would be factory warranty and put it in my contract that it needs to be checked and addressed. I'm expecting I'll see wither new matte black strips on the car, or correctly painted ones.

Redline_roof.jpg

BigDog80

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVR
Just put down a deposit on an MY17 with a phantom black roof. Pretty pumped, but haven't seen the car yet so not sure whether this problem is going to be lurking. Does anyone know whether this production issue has been addressed on the MY17 cars? Thanks.

BigDog80

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVR
Just put down a deposit on an MY17 with a phantom black roof. Pretty pumped, but haven't seen the car yet so not sure whether this problem is going to be lurking. Does anyone know whether this production issue has been addressed on the MY17 cars? Thanks.

Just checked out an MY17 and unfortunately the problem still persists. I had it noted in my sales contract as something to be addressed before pick-up. I'm happy if they just re-spray the strips or replace them with the original rubber. Either way is fine with me.

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
Just checked out an MY17 and unfortunately the problem still persists. I had it noted in my sales contract as something to be addressed before pick-up. I'm happy if they just re-spray the strips or replace them with the original rubber. Either way is fine with me.
Hi big dog, can I ask how you worded that in your contract? I've got a director on order and want it in the contract but not quite sure how to word it
Cheers

BigDog80

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVR
Hi big dog, can I ask how you worded that in your contract? I've got a director on order and want it in the contract but not quite sure how to word it
Cheers

I discussed it with the dealer and confirmed it would be a warranty issue if the paint started to crack, etc. This kind of goes without saying given it is a factory option, but I wanted to confirm it with my sales manager. Added a small note to the contract saying "Poor paint job surrounding roof rack mounts to be corrected prior to delivery". I'll just make sure its fixed before I pay the remainder of the purchase price. Good luck with it.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Sorry for the necrobump but..

I was wondering if they had the factory black roof option for all colours in the my17 models. More specifically the Sun of a Gun colour. Has anyone seen a SOAG with a black roof thats not a Motorsport or a Director?