Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII LS3 engine oil from factory?

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Given GM specify Dexos 1 rated oil I'd confidently assume that's what they're coming with from factory. And it's fully synthetic.

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
I asked about an oil change at the 1000 service and they said it doesn't get changed until 15k !

I am at 2k now and I will be changing soon, probably use Mobil1 as its dexos1 as per the spec. I thought HSV factory filled with Mobil1 ?

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
I asked about an oil change at the 1000 service and they said it doesn't get changed until 15k !

I am at 2k now and I will be changing soon, probably use Mobil1 as its dexos1 as per the spec. I thought HSV factory filled with Mobil1 ?

The motor comes from Chevrolet and is fitted at the Holden VAP. The oil is GM-standard for the motor.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I'm sure this has been addressed before and if someone can point me to the thread then excellent. However, does the factory use a full synthetic? Also what would be your oil recommendations? Will have oil and filter changed at 7000km prior to touch up of tune.

HSV use Mobil 1 OE. Well the one I had did anyway.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Maybe it’s the cynical manufacturing background in me but I feel sure the first priority for GM & GMH would be to provide the cheapest acceptable contracted option to see them out of and just beyond the warranty period.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
There’s more to it than I thought.

I looked up Dexos and first thing I found was this:

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - GM dexos oil, New Standard or Shakedown?

There is also a lot more written about this attempt at making money and the suitability of other oils.

Dexos is a standard not unique to GM or one brand of oil. I use this ENVIRO+ GF-5 5W-30 (Full Synthetic)

Dexos approved right grade, E85 suitable and HSV approved. I was on Mobil 1 but this stuff is Aussie made and cheaper.