Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII LS3 Oil & Air Filter

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
@tml678 unfortunately it’s a bit of a drive for me to get the oil as I’m in Brisbane.

I thought I read something about the PF48e filter being the old sh*t one and has now been changed to PF48 which has better internals or something.
48E replaced 48.
Apparently even though it is slightly smaller it flows better than the 48

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
@tml678 unfortunately it’s a bit of a drive for me to get the oil as I’m in Brisbane.

I thought I read something about the PF48e filter being the old sh*t one and has now been changed to PF48 which has better internals or something.

Other way around mate. The PF48 is the old one with the nice metal end caps and the PF48E (E for E-core) is the new one with the fibre end caps. Not only that, it's smaller as well. I've read a bit about them on the US sites, and there isn't much love for the 48E. Chances are it's probably be OK, but i just don't like the look of it. I've bitten the bullet and going to self-install a Ryco Z663ST. These are their newer filters with 100% synthetic filtering media that filters right down to 20 microns.

Going to keep the 48E to put back on just before next service though.. ;)

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
U
Other way around mate. The PF48 is the old one with the nice metal end caps and the PF48E (E for E-core) is the new one with the fibre end caps. Not only that, it's smaller as well. I've read a bit about them on the US sites, and there isn't much love for the 48E. Chances are it's probably be OK, but i just don't like the look of it. I've bitten the bullet and going to self-install a Ryco Z633ST. These are their newer filters with 100% synthetic filtering media that filters right down to 20 microns.

I use 48e whilst the car is under warranty...
After that i will research best aftermarket options.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
I use 48e whilst the car is under warranty...
After that i will research best aftermarket options.

And I totally understand why you would do that. I guess for me the issue is having the best filtration from early on in the piece to lessen the chances of longer term wear and tear - and there are a lot better options than the 48E (Fram Ultra XG10060 is probably the best at the moment, but I haven't found them in Aus). I plan to keep the car for ever and I personally want to know that it's getting the best materials it can. Each to their own I guess :)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Some acdelco marketing blurb about it

"
Its unique element design yields more filtering area in a smaller canister. New thermal bonding techniques and non-metallic end caps improve the overall seal as well as remove wasted media rendered non-functional by adhesives used in traditional filters. This can represent as much as 15% of the total media capacity. This premium aftermarket replacement E oil filter is manufactured to meet your expectations for fit, form, and function.

• Is 20-25% smaller in size, yet has more filtration media for greater capacity
  • Has 10 times more open area in the core for improved flow
  • Has a steel shell, threaded plate assembly, and leaf spring that can all be recycled
  • Has a non-metallic cartridge that can be crushed to remove oil and can then be used as an energy source
  • Has a lubricity gasket for reduced installation torque
  • Has a full cover baseplate for easy installation in blind applications "

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
And I totally understand why you would do that. I guess for me the issue is having the best filtration from early on in the piece to lessen the chances of longer term wear and tear - and there are a lot better options than the 48E (Fram Ultra XG10060 is probably the best at the moment, but I haven't found them in Aus). I plan to keep the car for ever and I personally want to know that it's getting the best materials it can. Each to their own I guess :)
I agree. The experience tought me to stick with OEM approved stuff whilst the car is under warranty. After that I am free to decide what to use

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I take all that on board, and as I say, it's more a subjective thing I suppose - the filter probably works fine. But at the end of the day, there are still better options out there in the aftermarket world. This thing still uses a cellulose media in a time when 100% synthetic is readily available at a reasonable price and outperforms it in flow, filtration and construction. I don't place much weight on a manufacturers advertising blurb when there are independent tests to show what performs and what doesn't

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
After that I am free to decide what to use

You're actually free to do that now as long as the equipment is of 'acceptable quality' BUT as we all know, if something went belly up then it becomes difficult to know where to point the finger at warranty claim time.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Other way around mate. The PF48 is the old one with the nice metal end caps and the PF48E (E for E-core) is the new one with the fibre end caps. Not only that, it's smaller as well. I've read a bit about them on the US sites, and there isn't much love for the 48E. Chances are it's probably be OK, but i just don't like the look of it. I've bitten the bullet and going to self-install a Ryco Z663ST. These are their newer filters with 100% synthetic filtering media that filters right down to 20 microns.

I've used the Z663ST for the last few changes on my L77, although with it stating "not for racing use", it has me wondering if that is because they assume high flow pumps may be used that will outflow the filter. L77's have high flow oil pumps. I might contact Ryco.