Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII LS3 Oil & Air Filter

JustUser

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon | VFII 6.2L Calais Sportswagon
Hi everyone!

I've been experiencing some issues with the authorised dealers within a reasonable distance near me, and my vehicle is still under the manufacturer warranty.

I remember reading recently that, even if you're not a qualified mechanic, you can change your own oil, oil filter, air filter, and wiper blades without voiding the manufacturer's warranty.

I can't remember where i read it, and can't seem to find it again, but i'm hoping someone here might know for certain.

If it is possible for me to change my own oil, oil filter and air filter, i was looking at the K&N products to replace the genuine parts.

What difference, if any, would using the K&N products provide?

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...vid=QdezLC7RBl426rUNyCm8ZQ==&cgid=SCA01070302

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...vid=QdezLC7RBl426rUNyCm8ZQ==&cgid=SCA01070303

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Hi everyone!

I've been experiencing some issues with the authorised dealers within a reasonable distance near me, and my vehicle is still under the manufacturer warranty.

I remember reading recently that, even if you're not a qualified mechanic, you can change your own oil, oil filter, air filter, and wiper blades without voiding the manufacturer's warranty.

I can't remember where i read it, and can't seem to find it again, but i'm hoping someone here might know for certain.

If it is possible for me to change my own oil, oil filter and air filter, i was looking at the K&N products to replace the genuine parts.

What difference, if any, would using the K&N products provide?

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/kandn-kandn-wrench-off-performance-gold-oil-filter----hp-1017-interchangeable-with-z663/557197.html?vid=QdezLC7RBl426rUNyCm8ZQ==&cgid=SCA01070302

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/kandn-kandn-air-filter---33-2919-interchangeable-with-a1557/388322.html?vid=QdezLC7RBl426rUNyCm8ZQ==&cgid=SCA01070303

My suggestion to you would be if your car is within warranty period and this is what you are concerned about, replace your filters with genuine OEM, and use the recommended oil, and keep your mouth shut. The dealer will not know.

I always do an intermediate oil change at 7,500km’s in between services. I use Penrite GF-5 Dexos approved oil, genuine filter and replace the sump plug with a new one each time. My dealer knows, because I also supply my oil to them when they service the car, to ensure it doesn’t get the cheap valvoline they “say” is approved.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
My dealer knows, because I also supply my oil to them when they service the car, to ensure it doesn’t get the cheap valvoline they “say” is approved.

Me too, I gave them some Mobil1 extended performance (US import) the other day and asked for the empties back. Just need to be aware that the required specification is now Dexos 1 - Gen 2, rather than just Dexos 1.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
I’m the same I change the oil every 7500kms of 4.5 month using Mobil 1 extended performance, genuine oil filter and a new sump plug ( 50c more expensive for new plug instead of just the o ring) and

I supply the oil when the dealer do a service.
E3CF7508-709F-4F45-A8EB-616D9E3D4A8B.jpeg

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’m the same I change the oil every 7500kms of 4.5 month using Mobil 1 extended performance, genuine oil filter and a new sump plug ( 50c more expensive for new plug instead of just the o ring) and

I supply the oil when the dealer do a service. View attachment 206127

That's the exact stuff I use (from the same place). Luckily I can drive there and pick it up. He has some top quality products there. Aside from M1, he has pennzoil, royal purple, redline and motul to name a few.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
You can take your car to any qualified mechanic and keep your warranty provided you use quality parts, stick to the service book and get the mechanic to sign off on it thats the law simplified.

*Edit - Its also fine for you to do an intermediate one at the 7500 mark like others with quality parts just as long as the actual service intervals are covered.

The only caveat about using non genuine parts is if e.g Penrite label their 20w-60 mineral as the 5w-30 dexos approved oil and it causes the engine to blow up your mechanic has to chase Penrite not you chasing Holden.

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
The only caveat about using non genuine parts is if e.g Penrite label their 20w-60 mineral as the 5w-30 dexos approved oil

I'm not sure that's even remotely likely to happen..?

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
I'm not sure that's even remotely likely to happen..?
I agree, 100% just an example, about 0.0001% chance of that happening. Just more the point of if something breaks because of the aftermarket part it needs to go through the part’s warranty not the new car warranty.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
I agree, 100% just an example, about 0.0001% chance of that happening. Just more the point of if something breaks because of the aftermarket part it needs to go through the part’s warranty not the new car warranty.

Fair enough. I hate the oil filter that Holden fits to these cars (have a look at the pic of the shitty AC Delco PF48E compared to the PF48 it replaced. These are fitted to most V8's L77 and onwards I believe) and I want to use my own aftermarket one, which I know for a fact to be a helluva lot better than the Delco one.

But, Holden won't fit it as it's not OEM approved. And even though we are allowed to use 'aftermarket parts of acceptable quality) or whatever the wording is, if fitted by an appropriately qualified person, it's not worth the hassle in the unlikely event of something going wrong.

But I still hate the feeling of having a second-rate part fitted when I know there is better out there.

69E18658-00EA-467D-A96D-2D94D346B54D.jpeg

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
@tml678 unfortunately it’s a bit of a drive for me to get the oil as I’m in Brisbane.

I thought I read something about the PF48e filter being the old sh*t one and has now been changed to PF48 which has better internals or something.