Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Paint (Slipstream) Quality

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Does Opticoat stop chips?

No, it doesn't. Mine still chips, it's like a good sealant or wax that wears very slow. Not a protective layer for physical impacts.

Kman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Acclaim; (On order for July delivery: MSE)
Would a clear wrap help?

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Are Holden now using the newer style eco friendly water based paints? If so welcome to the new world - this paint is terrible for paint chips as the outer coats just do not seem to bond to the undercoat very well. My last car was a Mazda RX-8 and that had one of the first water based paints - terrible car for paint chips.

yes to that....
(we supplied a lot of the parts for the upgraded water supply to the Elizabeth paint shop)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Are Holden now using the newer style eco friendly water based paints? If so welcome to the new world - this paint is terrible for paint chips as the outer coats just do not seem to bond to the undercoat very well. My last car was a Mazda RX-8 and that had one of the first water based paints - terrible car for paint chips.
I don't think it's that new ... I'm about 99% sure that Holden introduced water-based paint with a new paint shop for the introduction of the VS, in 1995.

And yes, I've just washed our nearly-10k-km old VF, which lives in the burbs & has only done 3 country-road trips, and it's got heaps of little stone-chips ... and you can see how thin the paint is, there's barely a perception of depth to the stone-chips it's almost like they're white marks ON the paint they're so shallow.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
All sounds fairly consistently ordinary then. I'm going to write to Holden, for all the good it will do me, to voice my concerns. Do people mind if i lift their comments off this thread to reinforce dissatisfaction??

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
My Ve series 1 has Kapow coloured paint and its starting to peel the clear off the wing and above the drivers door. disappointing as im sure it expensive to repair.As well as being covered in chips. The bits that are chipped you can see how thin the paint is.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
My VF Calais V is fine. Been up and down the Calder many times. 3 years old this year and only probably 7 stones chips. Although has a Kangaroo hit on the front bonnet :-(

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R