Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Paint (Slipstream) Quality

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
I had 2 coats of Ceramic Pro 9H applied within a week of picking up my white Redline, and now 7 months in have 3 stone chips . When I completed Holdens new car purchase survey, I commented on the thin paint, but have had no response back about it.

JAK71

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDLINE
Has anyone used one of those magic pens to see if this helps in "disguising" the chips somewhat?... also do Holden provide a touch up kit, something like in a nail polish size that is kept in the glove box? I hope by ordering my SSVR in nitrate in won't show up any marks as easily.

atomic_ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon S2
On a side note, a spray painter mate was telling me about the variation that can occur with factory paint jobs, depending on where they sat in the production line (particularly with metallic paints).

Apparently they try to make factory paint systems with as few bends as possible, because when metallic paint passes through a bend the metallic flakes tend to get caught in the corner over the course of a factory run, thereby cars painted at the start are much closer to the factory colour code compared to cars painted at the end. Obviously other factors like temperature and humidity contribute also - just thought it was an interesting tidbit. I think he was trying to emphasise that "colour matching" for body repair jobs is an art form.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Has anyone used one of those magic pens to see if this helps in "disguising" the chips somewhat?... also do Holden provide a touch up kit, something like in a nail polish size that is kept in the glove box? I hope by ordering my SSVR in nitrate in won't show up any marks as easily.

I use the ‘Fine Tip Brush Pen Kits’ from BCS Auto Paints which come with both a fine tip needle for small chips and hairline scratches and a fine bristle brush for larger chips and scratches.

Just give them your paint code and they’ll supply you with the primer, base colour and clear separately or as a kit.

They also supply aerosol cans and brush bottles.

bcs auto paints store - BCS Auto Paints - All Automotive Paints For Cars & Motorbikes

bcs auto paints store - BCS Auto Paints - All Automotive Paints For Cars & Motorbikes

There are plenty of how to’s on YouTube - like this one and it's the one I followed to learn how to do my own repairs.

Last edited by a moderator:

yescooling

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dream a commodore redline
I would reckon Xpel ultimate protection as usual. My previous car and current car Nissan dualis premuim paint come with a very thin plastic skin on top of the normal paint similar to the protection. But my wife car just has the normal paint. The shop wrapped Xpel on her car only for the front to avoid chips. Two years now, Mine has about 3 chips and her car has nothing. The Xpel can self healing. It cost me about 300 bucks. I'm not the guy selling it, just give some solutions. You can google Xpel, I'm sure they are many other protection products, but IMHO the wrap thing is tougher. Make sure to get high quality one, bad ones may damage the paint better not use it at all XD

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
So I emailed Holden telling them how disappointed I was in the paint, telling them I feel it's pathetic and not good enough etc.
This was the reply I just got.
"Hi James,

Thanks for emailing Holden Customer Care. We appreciate you contacting us regarding the exterior paintwork of your 2016 Holden VF Commodore SS-V Redline.

We recommend you speak with the Service department of your preferred Holden dealership.

Your Holden dealership's Service department will be happy to arrange a time to inspect your vehicle to determine the root cause of your paint concerns.

Once the root cause has been determined, the service staff will have the necessary knowledge and expertise to provide advice on what is required to rectify your paint concerns.

Keep in mind you can enquire at any Holden dealership. Your nearest Holden dealership can be found via the dealer locator on the Holden website:

http://www.holden.com.au/dealer-services

Additionally, you can notify Holden Customer Care once you have made a booking with your preferred Holden dealership in order for us to further investigate your concerns.

You can discuss this further with us via return email or by giving us a call. Please quote your reference number for any future enquiries.

Yours sincerely,
Hayley W
Holden Customer Care
Email: [email protected]
AUS: 1800 033 349
NZ: 0800 465 336"

Now I work at a dealer, do I get them to put pressure on Holden for a full respray... Can't see anything getting done.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Given the number of people with VFs with a paint problem I can see them trying to put a lid on this real fast. Even if they do repair yours I can see them getting you to sign a confidentiality agreement so they don't have a flood of people wanting repairs/ resprays. You would want to make sure that any respray is done by a very high quality painter or you may end up with a worse paint job than you already have.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Now I work at a dealer, do I get them to put pressure on Holden for a full respray... Can't see anything getting done.

Yes! Would be very interested to see what they assess the root cause as being.

I've written also but am yet to receive a reply.

Last edited:

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Given the number of people with VFs with a paint problem I can see them trying to put a lid on this real fast. Even if they do repair yours I can see them getting you to sign a confidentiality agreement so they don't have a flood of people wanting repairs/ resprays. You would want to make sure that any respray is done by a very high quality painter or you may end up with a worse paint job than you already have.

That's a fear I have, if I push for any resprays it may be worse. So I really don't know what I'll do. Last thing I want is a botch repair.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I don't think the paint is necessarily too thin. The paint thickness on these things is even higher than some Jap and European cars. I've seen new Honda's with readings under 100 microns. i think i measured the VF at 150 or around there.

I don't know if it's the processes involved when painting or if they just use crappy paint, but there is a problem with the paint being too soft. Our Rav4 is even worse. You just have to breathe on it and it'll chip. Of course it'll show up much worse on darker colours as opposed to silver or white