Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Paint (Slipstream) Quality

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
When I did my tour of HVO, I went and saw one of the engineers and flag the problem in the picture below, where they paint the plastic strips black off site at a supplier, but he doesnt take the cap off for the roof racks before painting. Therefore when you remove it to fit roof racks you damage the paint.

The engineer advised that there was less that 18 months left of production and for me not to hold my breath of a resolution to this problem..... :hmmm:

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Hate to think what the quality of the cars will be in the last year of production. Staff will be totally unmotivated and management just want to cut costs and not address any issues.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Just before the warranty period expired on my Calais V, I had an NRMA warranty inspection undertaken. One of the major things found was the delamination of the alloys which I was aware of and had 3 wheels replaced under warranty and the other thing was the paint. The report indicated that the vehicle had been in a accident. As the vehicle had been purchased from new and definitely had not been in an accident I questioned this point and the inspector took me out to the car with a small black paint device similar in size to the TV remote. Anyway he showed me on the little LCD screen on this device the different thickness of the paint, I remember figures such as 80,90,100.120 which must represent microns.

From my experience I think a bigger problem than the paint thickness is the thinness of the door skins. When the VF was released one of the things that was announced to reduce the weight of the VF was the door skin thickness being reduced by 1mm over the VE. The doors do seem to dent easily when hit by other cars when parked.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Some years ago my new car which was in for it 3000 k service was backed over by a car carrier truck delivering new cars to the dealer.
To cut a long story short when i was at the repairers looking at my car I saw a BRAND NEW Statesman not even registered where the whole side of the car was a total mess caused by another car carrier, they were repairing it and it was to be placed back in stock.
Some poor bugger has bought a vehicle with at least 10 grands worth of work already carried out on it.
:hmmm:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
That's nothing new ... my uncle bought a new Corona Mark II in 1976, got it repaired after a hail storm in the mid 80's and the panel-beater showed him where it'd been completely re-sprayed before ...

yescooling

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dream a commodore redline
Now, I'm really concerned about the quality of the my17 last year production. What should I buy :S

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
I use the ‘Fine Tip Brush Pen Kits’ from BCS Auto Paints which come with both a fine tip needle for small chips and hairline scratches and a fine bristle brush for larger chips and scratches.

Just give them your paint code and they’ll supply you with the primer, base colour and clear separately or as a kit.

They also supply aerosol cans and brush bottles.

bcs auto paints store - BCS Auto Paints - All Automotive Paints For Cars & Motorbikes

bcs auto paints store - BCS Auto Paints - All Automotive Paints For Cars & Motorbikes

There are plenty of how to’s on YouTube - like this one and it's the one I followed to learn how to do my own repairs.

Have purchased touch up paint from them before, good quality product, good price, the only place that matched the vw candy white correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
Touch wood, empire bronze colour seem to be holding up ok to chips and scratches, have tried to knock the paint of the drivers door a few time on a post at home and no damage, also witnesses someone open their door on my drivers door, lucky for them didn't do any damage to mine.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Now, I'm really concerned about the quality of the my17 last year production. What should I buy :S
I can comfortably advise you to wait.
While knowing if it were me I wouldn't be able to, and I'd be chowing down on the fairly hefty discounts people seem to be getting on 2016 cars now. :) And I know I'd regret it a little come 2017, in the same way I kinda regret buying in 2015 when we all "knew" the LS3 cars were coming, and I also know that I'd then regret NOT waiting (if I had waited I wouldn't have been able to get the colour I wanted) ... which all means, if it were me, it's 50:50 on the decision and impatience would win.