Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Passenger window won't auto-close, goes fully closed and re-opens again.

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
Hi gents, my passenger front window developed an issue where it appears to have lost its auto-close setting. I'm seeing on many other makes a similar adjustment procedure can be done to reset the window travel limits. My suspicion is motor current sensing is being used to detect the windows upper and lower limits. If anyone knows differently, please advise.
So based on the above assumption, would it be fair to say GM use the same/similar window control electronics therefore resetting the limits would be a similar process to say a BMW or Toyota? I see some people going for replacement of master switches and window regulator assemblies, I don't think with the mild symptoms I'm seeing that it's a failing part.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
i thought it would be a resistance measurement? So maybe your window is trying too hard to close and just stops? Or that sensor is busted.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I posted a GM window limit relearn process on another thread not long ago but one forum member said that process didn’t work for him :(

So as a first step, I’d simply disconnect the vehicle battery for a minute... Such a battery disconnect would force a cold reboot of all modules and that may fix your issue :p

PS: the VF workshop manual states the following for driver/passenger power window express up/down:

The driver and passenger doors contains a window motor is smart motor that will detect excessive resistance while performing the express up function and automatically reverse direction to prevent injury to any occupants that may become trapped between the closing window and the door frame. The automatic reverse safety feature can be overridden by pulling and holding the window switch.

The logic circuit within the window motor monitors the up, down and express signal circuits which are normally equal to B+ voltage. When a switch is used on the window switch, the contacts close causing a voltage drop within the appropriate signal circuit. The window motor will detect the voltage drop and will command the window to move in the direction requested.

The driver window switch communicates to the BCM by a serial data circuit. When the driver wishes to control the passenger window, the driver will use the appropriate switch on the driver window switch. When this switch is used, a serial data message is sent to the BCM requesting the passenger window motor command, the BCM will then send a serial data message to the passenger window motor which will then move in the direction requested.

So a bit of logic being used and cold boot can’t hurt..... haven’t found relearn process within VF manual.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
If cold boot doesn’t work, you may thenneed to look at how easily the window glass rolls up and down. Any binding occurring along its travel will be interpreted as a kid with his head stuck in the window and thus the glass will go back down...

If it isn’t mechanical and can’t be fixed with a hammer :p then it’s electronics which is always a pain to fault find when the service manual treats rather large objects as replaceable parts :oops: As the years roll by, it’s feels like the replaceable part is getting g closer to becoming the complete vehicle :eek:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I vaguely recall reading something in the owner’s manual that holding the window button up for a few seconds after the window has fully closed resets the ‘closed position’ for that window.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I vaguely recall reading something in the owner’s manual that holding the window button up for a few seconds after the window has fully closed resets the ‘closed position’ for that window.
Sounds about correct for the process I posted in another thread but yet to find it in the VF service manual PDF :rolleyes:

GM calls it anti pinch :eek:

The GM anti pinch relearn process is something like:
  1. Open window the whole way.
  2. Close window. As it reaches the end keep holding up on the switch for 3-5 seconds.
  3. Open window. As it reaches the end keep holding down on the switch for 3-5 seconds.
  4. Close window. As it reaches the end keep holding up on the switch for 10-20 seconds.
  5. (some then say to leave it for a few hours without using the window)

Last edited:

Ricksta69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 LSA Clubsport -Sedan
Remove the Fuse and then re-install. This fixed my issue. Hope it Helps
Fuse 24 (30A) in the Rear compartment was for the Passenger Front / Rear RHS Windows.
On a 2016 Clubby VF2 Sedan.