Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Redline 95 or 98 octane!?

Teddyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series II redline
Just wondering what everyone's experiences are with 95 v 98? I'm running 98 in mine but it crosses my mind wheather it does in fact make a difference.

Thoughts / experiences ?

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
The car is tuned to get maximum performance on 95. However running on 98 won't hurt but don't expect performance gains.

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
My understanding is 98 has a high compression rating as does the LS3 being a high compression rated engine 98 is better fuel for it, as a stock car I don't know if there would be much in power output between the two fuels. I only use 98 but mine is not a daily driver so price not a big factor for me.
I think the difference in performance is only if you have had a custom tune using 98 or 95.
I am sure there is people on here you have the right knowledge on this mater and will correct me if I am wrong.

j_davis_1980

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport edition
My understanding is 98 has a high compression rating as does the LS3 being a high compression rated engine.

LS3's compression rating does not mandate 95/98. It would still run fine on 91.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
LS3's compression rating does not mandate 95/98. It would still run fine on 91.

I think they are fine on 91 and the handbook that comes with the car says no problem running on 91, they probably prefer 95, and when Holden states power figure for the LS3 (same with 6.0 litre cars before LS3), they state power figure obtained on 98, so I figure technically best power from 98 even if not noticeable over 95. With my VE SS since I've had it, I generally put in 98, but I can't pick any difference over 95. I think they are just big lazy engines, not high performance given their size, and 91 is no problem.

Edit just from a websearch I found this http://www.motoring.com.au/98-ron-fuels-are-they-worth-the-extra-coin-25725/

Below is taken from the link above.

“As a rule of thumb, each octane increase delivers a fuel consumption improvement of about one per cent,” he says.
“But that’s only in cars built and tuned to take advantage of it."
This means in most cars, the benefits on this front go wasted.

Last edited:

Teddyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series II redline
Cheers
I plan to fill my next tank on 95 and see whether I notice any difference in power and fuel consumption . I don't think there will be a difference in power but I will soon fine out !

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
Cheers
I plan to fill my next tank on 95 and see whether I notice any difference in power and fuel consumption . I don't think there will be a difference in power but I will soon fine out !

If it helps anyone (I know it's a different engine) I ran my '15 Series 1 Redline on 98 for the first year and a bit. Then I enlightened myself on octane ratings and what it all means, and changed to 95 to see if I could tell a difference - and I absolutely could not. It's been a couple of months now and I'm not going back to 98.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Same here. I stopped using 98 when every brand of it started to effect my vehicles cold starts. I have never returned to it.
Can't feel any difference with 95. I think the exhaust smells a fraction more if your standing near the vehicle running (may or may not be related) and it definitely has a little more crackle and pop on starts and deceleration with 95. The higher turnover at the servo of the 95 can't be a bad thing either.
It also seems , calculated over the last 50 thousand or so km's, on both fuels, I'm using a whopping 50ml more per 100km (combined) on 95.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I had my SS for 3 weeks and i have been filling it up with 98. Will try 95 next time and see if i can tell any difference between the 2...

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
Aside from whether or not there's a bee's dick between the performance of either fuel, consider that flagship 98 octane fuels do burn cleaner than the lesser grades and have different detergents/additives etc, pull down an engine after 50,000km on regular unleaded and compare it to one that's been fed 98, you will generally see the difference.