Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Redline dashcam

SARRAS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore SSV Redline 6MT
It seems to be a bit mad that you cannot tap into the existing front camera on these cars for 'dashcam' purposes, but failing that I've bought a Garmin 65 which seems to be quite a good piece of kit. Hardwiring to the VF though, with the battery in the boot? Hmmmmm…. Any comments?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It seems to be a bit mad that you cannot tap into the existing front camera on these cars for 'dashcam' purposes, but failing that I've bought a Garmin 65 which seems to be quite a good piece of kit. Hardwiring to the VF though, with the battery in the boot? Hmmmmm…. Any comments?
The Camaro has the option to ditch the lane departure warning feature while keeping the camera and instead utilising it for a front view video feature that works with their data logger.

It should have been a pee in the hand for Holden to access that feature and make it available on the last of the VF’s.

We’ve always been a backwater even when we had vehicle manufacturing within the country.

SARRAS

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wire the dash cams to the plug at the back of the acc socket below the ac controls.
I stick my finger into the socket and wiggle it around and pull the socket out then splice in another socket to sit under the console and just plug the dash cam into that.
doing it this way allows the ability to remove the dashcam if needed.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/narva-narva-12v-accessory---heavy-duty-inline-socket/540272.html

The park protect feature requires always on power where's the cig lighter style socket in the dash only works with the ignition running

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
I've got the Garmin 55 as I preferred the clearer picture (1440p vs 1080p) than the wider angle. Wide angle doesn't mean much if you can't read number plates in my opinion :D

I too have always wanted to hardwire it into the car, as apparently there is a parking feature of the Garmin 55/65 and you need some sort of kit. But even if I had the kit, I wouldn't know how to wire it into the car :p At the moment I just have a cable hanging down the middle of the car and runs along the side of the passenger seat into the glovebox socket.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Most hard wire kits have plenty of wire to reach to the fuse box , I have a wagon with fuse box in the rear and it reaches no worry's , just a matter of running the wire around the head lining . I used the front 12 volt socket fuse as its accessory run, the rear one ( 12 volt socket ) in the wagon is constant

SARRAS

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've got the Garmin 55 as I preferred the clearer picture (1440p vs 1080p) than the wider angle. Wide angle doesn't mean much if you can't read number plates in my opinion :D

I too have always wanted to hardwire it into the car, as apparently there is a parking feature of the Garmin 55/65 and you need some sort of kit. But even if I had the kit, I wouldn't know how to wire it into the car :p At the moment I just have a cable hanging down the middle of the car and runs along the side of the passenger seat into the glovebox socket.

Its called a parking mode cable and it includes a device to prevent the camera from draining the main car battery below 'start' capability.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/587564

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
The DOC connector has both ACC and 12v always on power. Connector is behind the glovebox. Spade terminals work well.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
if your serious about using a dash cam in parking mode a front camera is only going to catch 25% of all potential damage , I would recommend at least a 2 channel dash cam or 2 single channel so you have a front and a rear camera , then you have a chance of catching 50 to 60% of all incidents but then your using a fair amount of power . I don't like the power magic pro as it relies on using the car battery and turning off the cams when the battery runs down to a certain level .
I personally have 2 Thinkware 2 channel cams so I have a front , rear and left / right cameras and I use the cellink neo battery addons that charge while the car is running and the cameras only draw from them and not the car battery when in parking mode . All of this becomes quite expensive when you want it to be affective but if it catches atleast 1 culprit then it can pay for it's self .
Heres a few hit's on my car . I was hit 5 time's in 8 months , that's why I painted my car hi-vis colours and got 4 cams .