Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Redline dashcam

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The park protect feature requires always on power where's the cig lighter style socket in the dash only works with the ignition running

I have never used garmin i always use blackvue and the power magic pro for recoding while vehicle is off.

With the power magic i still take the ign switched power from the acc socket below the ac controls and 12v constant from the fusebox behind the panel in the drivers door.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
The issue with the hardwite battery kits for parking mode ie when the cars is off is they let the battery drain too much, shortening the battery life. Not many allow a cutoff voltage anywhere near the right level so unless you have a deep cycle the battery will become a wear issue and may lead to the car not starting. A second battery or a deep cycle is a good idea. Lithium battery packs may also explode in Australian summers.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The issue with the hardwite battery kits for parking mode ie when the cars is off is they let the battery drain too much, shortening the battery life. Not many allow a cutoff voltage anywhere near the right level so unless you have a deep cycle the battery will become a wear issue and may lead to the car not starting. A second battery or a deep cycle is a good idea. Lithium battery packs may also explode in Australian summers.

The power magic pro has a cutoff voltage to prevent draining the battery and it can be used with any dashcam that uses a 12v acc plug and you will get more than 12hrs of recording easily.

If you want to get really serious then yes a dedicated second battery with a dc2dc charger like a redarc bcdc1220 would give the ultimate setup.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I have the power magic pro and have found when I don’t drive the car for a few days, the dashcam powers down due to running the battery down to 12v then when I start the car, the date and time are screwed up so I have to reformat the memory card to sync it up again.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Because I use 2 x 2 channel cams ( 4 cams ) if I use the power magic pro I'm lucky to get 5 or 6 hours before it powers off , I need atleast a guaranteed 9 hours to be sure I'm fully covered . With the battery packs I get easily 12 hours even more in park mode , this is with motion detection on high , if I turn the sensitivity down then obviously longer . Luckily for me my car is garaged at night so I turn the system off when I get home , this means my battery's are fully charged after my drive home so if I only have a short drive the next day I still get a good full day out of it . I have the Cellink-Neo in the other car that allows you to check how much charge it has via a phone app , from memory I think a short 5 to 10 k drive it gets up to about 70% . In that car I have 1 Thinkware 2 channel and I bought 2 single channel I use for the sides , the 2 single channel aren't as power efficient as the Thinkware so with 1 battery she probly gets about 3 to 4 hours . The single channel cams are DDPai 3 and are quite good for a cheap cam if you buy 2 of them , they have inbuilt memory and you view from your phone over wi-fi same as the Thinkware and Blackvue but no need for a memory card and no need to turn wi-fi on on the cam.
Another thing with the Cellink is if you have an AC to DC 12 volt adapter pack with a 12v cigarette socket you can fully charge it up if need be it will also charge directly off your battery when parked through the 12 volt socket in your car , my wagon rear socket has constant power if I need but never have

Last edited:

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
I tried the DOC socket behind the glovebox, but it had weird voltages on the pins recommended and wouldn't work, in the end I pulled out the center consul and tapped into the purple wire for the cigarette lighter for the acc 12v and used a add a fuse in the side fuse box on the dash near the air vent and use a pro magic with the voltage setting at 12v or 36hrs whatever first. On the american SS site they tap into the wire harness near the mirror which powers their electronic mirrors like in the Caprices.
While I had the consul out I fitted a rear USB charge socket for the rear passengers to use.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...-to-fake-woodgrain.270648/page-3#post-3006280

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
So it seems this page is a little old info and the blackvue PMP now has a 12.5V cutoff which is good. Good read on battery degradation prevention and keeping your parking mode running for the longest of times.

Now all I need to sort out is in car wifi hotspot to upload footage to the cloud, provide gps tracking and live feed streaming. while expensive I am set on the BV 900 2ch with the PMP for my ute will wait for the autobahn sale should be able to get both for <$600. Then will need a mobile wifi dongle or similar as I often have to leave my car parked no where near changing workplaces on main roads for my whole shift.

Ute makes it easy for cabling direct to battery and may be able to setup one camera to record inside the cabin and therefore the side windows as well. Will need slightly illegal tint before summer.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Isn’t there an autobarn sale currently running until 22 April where there seems to be a number of dash cams on special (including DR900 4K cam for $574).

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Isn’t there an autobarn sale currently running until 22 April where there seems to be a number of dash cams on special (including DR900 4K cam for $574).
Thats a 1ch and 2ch has been that price recently but is $800 during "the sale"

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Another tip when buying a cam is to pay attention to the size of the sd card that will come with it , quite often it can be cheaper to get a unit with 16gb sd then go buy a separate sd , " DON'T !!! " get Sandisk as they can brick a Blackvue , I get the Samsung Evo plus , I haven't has too much trouble using them , but just like any electronics they can fail .