Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Redline vs Gen-F2 Clubsport R8 - the verdict...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
having driven both (Redline and LSA.. not the Ford)... I call that simply a line of BS
They're including cost in the 'run rings around' equation; the fact that a Clubbie costs near 1.5x a Redline hurts the Clubbie using their equation. $60k is kinda something people have become accustomed is a top-spec normal car, $90k is just what most people consider expensive.

HSV is a division of Holden.
No, HSV is mostly owned by Tom Walkinshaw's company, whatever that's called.
HSV get mostly-assembled & painted Commodore shells, and fit all the HSV-only stuff by hand. Assembly is a very manual, read labour-intensive, process; and labour isn't cheap in this country where we don't really have slaves.

Holden likes HSV because it's free marketing for Holden; people aspire to HSV but buy Holden. HSV likes Holden because Holden does 99% of HSV's engineering for them.
Well this was the old model, it's going to have to change for HSV to survive. Aren't enough people stupid enough to go back for a 2nd DaewooHolden, let alone a DaewooHSV for more moulah than a billionty-times better German alternative.

Craterface

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 HSV GTS
A GTS needs brakes every 40,000 K Holden told us. New pads and rotors.
$2,000 a corner! Yes that's right.....your Holden dealer is going to ask you for $8,000 worth of brakes every 40,000Kms.
They showed me the servicing chart as I didn't believe them.

Just replace with aftermarket rotors and pads which are better any way and much cheaper, you'd have to be a numpty to let Holden supply you the brakes.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
you don't get free gifts from Holden like you do when you buy a HSV (one at purchase and on every anniversary so far for me)
plus
any HSV has better street cred than any Commodore :smoking:

why not buy a redline give me the extra 20g and ill send you a birthday and Christmas card every year:idea3:

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
The biggest thing the Clubsport has over the Redline isn't going to EVER be fitted to a Redline; the LSA.

It's law of diminishing returns thing,
(*) some person on the HSV production-line has to manually get that LSA in there with a really big hammer, whereas down the road at Holden they've got Robbie The Robot quietly & cheaply sliding the LS3's in.
(*) Holden can be making 15c profit per Redline because they sell 18000 of them every week, HSV has to make $15k profit per Clubsport or they're broke 'cos they're only selling 1 every 4 weeks.
(*) due to volumes, LSA's will be costing HSV disproportionately more than LS3's are costing Holden; same with the brakes, the seat padding, the wheels, the suspension parts, and all the etceteras.
(*) 33c on almost every extra dollar you pay for a Clubsport over a Redline goes into King Mal's personal back pocket.

Value-for-money is very hard to judge once you get into moderately exclusive stuff.

I mean HSV buyers don't look too hard at value for money; they just want one. :D

holden fit the mechanical s on the production line bolt on parts at hsv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTDap90x6GI

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
As I said before, I drove the HSV Clubsport LSA and it didnt feel anything special, like previous HSV models have. It really felt like I was in a top spec Commodore (SSVR) and not a HSV. Hence why there is no justification in the extra spend. Oh did I mention for the extra $20k you can get unpainted black plastic highlights, like you could on a 1997 VT Executive...... pure class right there!:hmmm:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I paid extra to ditch the gaudichrome from our Redline, and make it look a bit less 20th Century ...

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I'd go for a near new GTS if I was spending 80k and had my heart set on a HSV. There's heaps around for a lot less than that as well.

This is what I've upgraded into and to be honest, the Gen F GTS is streets ahead of the F2 Clubbie and the Series 2 Redline. All three are excellent vehicles but the kit in the GTS is still at the forefront of V8 motoring, regardless of country of origin.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Apart from the fancy shocks, what kit's it got?

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Besides the supercharger, Clubby and SSVR are real similar. If you dont want the extra power the extra cash just isnt worth it.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Apart from the fancy shocks, what kit's it got?

Torque vectoring to go with, bigger brakes, I don't think the R8 has forged wheels either.

EDI has also been deleted from VF2 R8.