Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII SSV Gearbox / clutch issue?

3reddogs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Manual
Anyone had or having issues with ? Gearbox/clutch in their manual SSV?

I’ve been having issues since new of very clunky gear changes from 1st to 2nd mostly with an audible clunk I can hear even over the radio. Also intermittent clutch shudder on slow take off and reversing.

dealer and service centre keeps telling me this is normal... but i don’t believe as I know people of also have VFII manuals of same era and their gearbox is fine... ie. yes it’s heavier & firm, but certainly not clunky notchy like mine has been.
Note: service has changed gearbox oil twice and bled clutch... had made no difference whatsoever and now being told to replace clutch to fix...

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Manuals in falcon and commodore with the six speed are very agricultural at best,clunky,noisy,rollover noise,its how the boxes are,penrite pro gear oil will make it quieter but also harder to shift when cold.
I had a brand new s2 fg turbo ute with a 6 spd manual and it was a fkn pig to drive,the tremec was a big ol piece of ****,we got told to get used to it,the commodore box is virtually identical,it was like a full time job just doing smooth gearchanges...... fk that.
Nothing like paying your left nut for a new car to have it drive like a fkn dog.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Clutch shudder will be a little bit of heat that's affected the flywheel/pressure plate faces. Can't do much to fix it apart from replace the clutch and change your driving style, and it's not really a manufacturing defect. My clutch has copped a little bit and I get the occasional slight shudder - it's not a big deal.

The box will be a bit agricultural when cold. It's normal because they are over-engineered (they're a triple carbon steel synchro on first and second gears). They don't break easily but it's normal, I've driven probably 20 or so VF manuals and they're all like it to a degree. I changed my gearbox oil and if anything it made it worse. Next time I have it up I'm swapping it to the Penrite progear.

Ausroamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Mine's the same. If I drive it hard then it all comes together well - problem is driving it like that sees the speed limit pass by in 2nd gear! Driving it smooth around town is hard yakka..