Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Steering Column Lock

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
So I think I may have an issue with my Steering Column Lock Control module and wanting to know if other have experienced the same as me. I have never received a warning message in the center screen and there are no codes showing on the computer

the vehicle is a 2017 VFII Motorsport Edition, manual.

about a couple of weeks ago I noticed I wasn't hearing the actuator engaging or disengaging the steering column lock automatically as stated in the owners manual.

today I thought I would look into it as I can basically rock my steering wheel side to side and it wont lock when everything is off and have only managed to get my steering wheel to lock by chance once.

I decided to disconnect the battery for a lengthy amount of time to reset everything and hopefully get rid of any gremlins if any.

I noticed after reconnecting the battery I went to push the start button and I could hear the actuator disengage the auto lock, but when I went and pressed the button to switch everything off I couldn't her the actuator engage the auto lock after opening the door.

So I tried pushing the start button again and then pushing it off and opening the door and nothing would work until about the 5th time of doing that and jiggling the steering wheel I managed to get the actuator to auto lock the steering wheel with the engine off and door open. I was thinking maybe the PEPS system was getting my key confused to it being outside the car when it was really inside the car (but then everything else was working as it should be) I locked myself in the car with the key just to make sure.

(dont know if others have ever tried this or not, but if you lock yourself inside the car with remote, as soon as the security light on the dash goes out the cluster comes back to life and the needles raise ever so slightly and then lower below zero. Kinda cool, check it out)

I then went for a drive thinking I may have relearned what ever the issue was, but no I got out the car after my drive and the actuator in the module wouldn't engage the auto lock again. So I went for a further drive this time I parked with the wheels slightly turned, turned engine off opened door and the auto lock engaged. I press the start button and it disengaged and then I pressed the start button and open the door and the lock engaged

When I got home from the short drive I sat in the driveway for a while, with my wheels parked straight and did the whole turn on with button and turn off with button and the column lock engaged every time except when I open the door whilst I have the ignition on, then close door, push button to turn off and open door, the lock wont engage there will be about 8 sec delay with door open and then I can hear the actuator engage the auto lock. I tried this a few times and got the same result.

I read the Holden Factory Workshop manual and it states that the SCLM has to see 3 input in order for the steering column to be locked;

The BCM power mode if OFF
The vehicle is stationary based on zero speed from the ABS wheel sensors
The driver or passenger door is opened reported by the PEPS module

so Im trying to solve this problem myself without having to go to a dealer, but is it the door switch that is not sending signal to say it is open and engage the steering lock? because I did note that at times there is a 8 sec delay before the lock engages. but when I open the door the radio does go off and interior light comes on, so I guess that may rule that scenario out.

or is there just something wrong with my module and I will need to buy a new one and swap it over, even though I do have it working now intermittently.

I did try my auto park feature and it does work and the steering wheel does move itself, so no issue there.

To note I swapped my steering wheel 3 years ago for the HSV W1 Alcantara version and have had no problems since then up until recently, incase by swapping the steering wheel something has gone astray after 3 years. But everything was very simple to swap and I didnt move anything on the column when swapping the steering wheels over as didn't want to muck up the clock spring.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just to update all, car went to dealer, car is just out of warranty. Dealer has replaced whole module under warranty so no charge to me. Very happy with the service from the Holden Dealer.

They put it down to an internal fault with the module as everything else was working as it should.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Going by your comments recently, my car has had the exact same issues as yours and the module will lock on its own accord with no clear pattern. I’m glad you got yours sorted even though it’s out of warranty and that should inspire confidence for the rest of us here who have similar problems (should be quite a number of us!).

TREVOR R

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore sv6 vf
Good to hear that the issue is sorted. Just to follow up on one of your comments which you talk about a Holden Factory Workshop Manuel. My question is - is this a genuine Holden Factory Workshop Manuel for the VF or a pirate version eg not produced by Holden. Also where did you purchase it from would be helpful. Many Thanks Trev

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@TREVOR R, the VF workshop manual is a 11,361 page PDF capture from Holden system. You can find a download link to it at post #9 of this thread.

The internal links don’t work so it’s a bit of a pain to navigate so best to have the index showing within the left pane of Adobe reader or similar ;)

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just to update, the fix only worked for a few days and now am back to the same problem. Steering Column Lock Module replaced but turns out not the problem. Not sure where to from here with this electrical germlin. It maybe the PEPS Module.

On a side note the exported Chevy SS does not have this Steering Column Lock module fitted. I did not know this is only an Aus/NZ Model spec thing.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Just to update, the fix only worked for a few days and now am back to the same problem. Steering Column Lock Module replaced but turns out not the problem. Not sure where to from here with this electrical germlin. It maybe the PEPS Module.

On a side note the exported Chevy SS does not have this Steering Column Lock module fitted. I did not know this is only an Aus/NZ Model spec thing.
Yeha something we actually got that they didn't. Shame it doesn't work

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
So dealer is going to keep car and try and fault find or make the fault happen again like I am experiencing, he said they may have to replace the entire door harness and lock sensor on the drivers door, as it may not be communicating all the time to the SCLM, as I did describe that there is sometimes a delay in opening door and when lock engages on SCLM or sometimes it doesn't engage at all, until I return to the car anywhere from 10-50min later, open door to get into car and the lock engages on the SCLM.