Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII SV6 Carpet colour

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The carpet does need to be cut but it is under the console so really doesn't make any difference. Seats have to also come out.
Around the hvac needs to be cut.
The seats & console need to come out.

The hvac sits on top of the carpet, & wont come out, unless you take the hvac out, or just cut around it.

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Okay guys, the carpet replacement began this morning. It took me a couple of hours to get everything out of the car including the carpet. As it was the first time I am doing this job I was extra careful so as not to break any plugs or clips. Unfortunately, I did break one of the rear seat cushion plugs. Will be easy to replace.

The centre console was very easy to remove. After removing some trim up top and the seats, it is held down by 4 bolts on the side and five screws up top. There is a one connector that needs to be disconnected to get it out. Attached are some pics for your enjoyment.

I have cleaned the areas where the mould appeared with a diluted vinegar solution and a a scrubbing brush. Then I have wiped it down with clean water and a rag. The baking soda in the last shot is to dry out the are areas faster.

I am taking photos as I go along and will post a how to on this. Do I put it on this forum or the how to forum?

If anyone has any questions on the process. Fire away.

Some shots I have taken.

1. Front passenger footwell just before clean.
2. Rear passenger footwell - before clean
3. Rear passenger footwell - after clean
4. Interior shot - White stuff on the passenger footwell is baking soda to dry out the

IMG_4333.JPGIMG_4334.JPGIMG_4336.JPGIMG_4337.JPG

Last edited:

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Here is a shot of the carpet underlay. The mould was truly embedded in there. No wonder I couldn't get it out. I think the leak was happening before I purchased the car.

IMG_4332.JPG

Last edited:

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
There have been some questions regarding the HVAC box. The carpet comes with perforations so it is easy to cut and comes out easily from under the HVAC box. The HVAC box does not sit on the floor pan. Here are some more pics from the the are under the HVAC box.

IMG_4340.JPGIMG_4341.JPGIMG_4342.JPG

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Great pics :cool:

The mold doesn’t look too bad but I prefere mould killer (or white-king which is a chlorine bleach and is much the same as specific branded mould killer). Such kills spores a bit better than diluted vinegar.

So what was the carpet like around the area of the hvac drain grommet, did it look like the drain tube/grommet was leaking?

Can the old backing be removed and the old caret cleaned before new underlay is glued to your old carpet? Such could make a good spare ;)

For some pics around the rubber drain grommet, the Chevy SS TSB is easier to find so have a look, just be mindful of LHD/RHD differences (not huge in this area)...

or

Also, have you checked the seam sealing within the upper front bulkhead to body panel firewall from the left hand side engine bay area as well as the HVAC air box seal against the firewall?

These are the other areas of leak concern as are the sunroof drain tubes. Best to check them now before putting it all back together :cool:

PS: edited to add that bleach can be nasty stuff so always use with caution as it’s vapour can damage your lungs and the liquid can damage your skin. So use in well ventilated areas. Oh and it can strip colour from some materials, damage some plastics and pain’t and supposedly even strip clear coat if left on for some time. So always use with caution. I’ve had no problems and use lots of the stuff around the home and garage. Localised spraying on mould covered car floor panels shouldn’t be a big issue, just don’t drown things in chlorine…

Last edited:

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
So what was the carpet like around the area of the hvac drain grommet, did it look like the drain tube/grommet was leaking?
The leak was from the grommet. It had the foam grommet and it was replaced last April. Every now and then I would stick my hand under the carpet, particularly after heavy rain and have not felt any moisture since then. When I first dried it out, I drove it for a day with a/c, carpet was dry. When I turned it on it got we again.

Also, have you checked the seam sealing within the upper front bulkhead to body panel firewall from the left hand side engine bay area as well as the HVAC air box seal against the firewall?
No, am pretty confident that is all good. No sunroof on the car.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I agree with @Skylarking. With wet and humid weather our bathroom ceiling has become mould central. A wipe of 50/50 bleach and water has compeletely removed it.
Check out this vid which inspired me to do it

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Deleted duplicate post

Last edited:

Blussvredline

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf s2 ssv redline
Hi Sam, I am wondering where did you get the carpet for your vf? And roughly how much did it cost? Cheers mate

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Hi Sam, I am wondering where did you get the carpet for your vf? And roughly how much did it cost? Cheers mate
I got the carpet from the local Holden parts dealer. It cost around $700-$750 from memory. Probably costs more now. The carpet came in a box approx 2m x 1.5m x .3m.

Are you thinking of replacing yours?