Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VG 355 stroker

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
VG 355, V3 T-trim intercooled.

hey everyone

been on here for a few years and havent really made the effort to make my own thread on the ute, but these things happen when your lazy:p
so ive decided to post up a few details, specs and pics of my pride and joy

its a 1990 model VG S pack ute, started life off as a manual but somewhere along the line a previous owner changed it to an auto...:cry:
i bought it for 4 grand, it was a 5 litre, was maranello red and faded as faded could be, 15 inch 5 spoke mags, auto, LSD, some wacked as old school computer chip, 2 1/2 inch stainless exhaust, 267,000 k's on the clock....so overall a good base for my project to start:D
now i havent got any pics of when i first bought it or any of the bodywork and painting stages as that was like 5 computers ago and alot of cameras! but you could imagine a kinda red ute on 15's lookin kinda beaten up lol....

so i stripped the paint back to bare metal, spent about 3 months every night and most weekends working on the body to get it straight as can be, got my panel beatings skills down pat now cos of it:)
ordered a VS senator style bodykit for it which suits it pretty well i rekon...

got it all in primer and left it for a week or so to let it settle, got a headache from trying to choose a damn colour! wanted to paint it bright orange pearl but decided not to do that as it would look a bit weird..... so i settled for a colour off an 88 model holden astra.... tropical green lol... no its not hothouse:p its got a silver metal flake instead of gold
so had that all painted and cleared and put the ute back together.

now the motor, was completely rebuilt to almost standard but had the compression raised to 9.0:1 and had a baby cam installed, heads rebuilt and trans rebuilt with stage 1 shift kit. made 151 rwkw
about 3 months after that i put in a crane 284 cam but didnt get round to getting it tuned....

so the finished product after i bought my rims looked like the ute in my photobucket album "rebuild 1"
boona15/ute rebuild 1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

about a year and a bit after i finished that, lost my license for 7 months for being naughty....

had the auto built a bit stronger, put on a twin 2 1/2 inch system, installed a kaaz powerpot LSD with 3.45:1 gears, VT front brake upgrade

then took the motor out after i hunted around for some stroker parts.... kinda go out of hand lol

rebuilt the motor with an eagle 355 crank, chev journal scat H beams and SP forged pistons and a compression ratio of 9.8:1.... installed a crane 286 camshaft and associated parts, yella terra adjustable roller rockers, stainless oversized valves, torque power dual plane manifold, EFI hardware throttle body, wired it all up to suit and put it all together
had the seats retrimmed in VY SS green and black cloth, vinyl dye'd the dash, steering wheel and door trims in satin black, installed the oil pressure, stoich and trans temp gauges under the CD player
bought a set of 18 inch verde kaos rims off a member here and put them on, got it registered and have been driving it round with a massive grin on my face ever since:p

boona15/other cars/ute rebuild 2 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

very near future mods: charger :) and some very sticky rubber

so yeh sorry for the essay but thats the story of how my ute came to be as it is now.... i should be at the next SA cruise cos im happy with the way its running now

Last edited:

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Very nice mate, always wanted to see a thread on your ute.
Not really keen on the wheels though, but love the color, sounds like it was a fun project.
Any future plans at all?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
:D Horay, I thought you might be keeping the ute secret forever. There's a spot waiting for you in either the left or right lane at South Coast raceway next season :)

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
yeh thought it was about time i posted up something... what wheels you referring to tho lol...

only thing i have planned to do is save up for a raptor
should have it on the side of the block by early next year

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
:D Horay, I thought you might be keeping the ute secret forever. There's a spot waiting for you in either the left or right lane at South Coast raceway next season :)
ive already said to you its happening:) will also let you know hwo the new tune goes this weekend

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeaaah :) well I'll have my camera ready, Peanuts vs VQ rat for stroker champion of the world. I can see it on youtube allready

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
car looks awsome man been wondering if there was eva a write up of this ute not a fan of the chrome rims but with the type of paint uve got they do match so its not a bad thing there :p ne chance 2 share a cost on the build 2 date?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You guys with the wheel comments are giving away your gay tendancies :p. I didn't even know it had mags on it. It's got a good motor and it's green, what more could you want :! )