Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vg commodore

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute V6

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute V6
Why does everyone now call the VN-VR 3800 V6 a 'Buick' at every instance?
What do you a ground on a vehicle, Earth ? Because technically a vehicle doesn't have an Earth , an Earth is for building electrical and serves a different purpose......... Yet 90% of people call a ground an Earth....

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
What do you a ground on a vehicle, Earth ? Because technically a vehicle doesn't have an Earth , an Earth is for building electrical and serves a different purpose......... Yet 90% of people call a ground an Earth....
Right for us and the Brits , when I talk to people on US forums I have to be careful- to them Earth is the third planet out from the sun.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman - VE SS Commodore
What do call it?
Well, it's a GM product, technically referred to as a BOC (Buick Oldsmobile Cadillac) V6, but used around the world.

Calling it a Buick is like calling the 6.0 in my SS a Chev.

Just call it a Commodore V6 -series, series 2 (then Ecotec).

Whit irks me most is the Buick thing is new -no one ever used to call them that when these things were around in big numbers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute V6
Whit irks me most is the Buick thing is new -no one ever used to call them that when these things were around in big numbers.
How new? Just before the V6 came out in the late 80s everyone I knew were calling it a Buick and then after they rolled off the line plenty were calling it a Buick V6, even references on TV and radio were calling it the Buick engine.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman - VE SS Commodore
How new? Just before the V6 came out in the late 80s everyone I knew were calling it a Buick and then after they rolled off the line plenty were calling it a Buick V6, even references on TV and radio were calling it the Buick engine.
Really? I obsessed over Commodore in the late 80s and 90s, read Motor and Wheels religiously to do with anything about VN-onwards and even saved up $11,500 to buy my first car, a 1989 5-speed VN exec. Never heard it or saw it written as Buick. "American-derived" 'GM V6" BOC V6 was pretty common.

Just call it a Commodore V6.

VN V6 ad:

VP V6 ad:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute V6
Really?
Just call it a Commodore V6.
It wasn't the sales ads that I remember it being referred to it as a Buick, it was commentators. It was the big news at the time. Obviously where you lived it wasn't referred to as a Buick V6. I grew up in a small town of less than 1000 people but all the town folk I associated with referred to it as a Buick V6. My mates mum bought one and we all knew it as the new Buick engine Commodore. I wanted one but at 17 years old a new car was not something I could afford on my $120 a week bakery wage. I remember as a 17 year old who drove old HX's and Torana's, mates and I thought the new V6 Commodore was the bees knees...... Now 30 years on we all know they weren't that good.