Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VG to VS ute Subwoofer enclosure with measurements

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
I like my design better as the box is totally sealed and cannot let dust, water, dew or any other elements in. Obviously when i sealed it up i fed the excess wire through the port hole and then you pretty much have a bandpass box :thumbsup:

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
hey yeah great idea i like it when i first saw the box, i am like i gotta do that lol, i finished it like 2 weeks ago and it sounds awesome i put a 12" Cadence sub in it but i used 16mm MDF and it works fine doesn't split .......cheers for the idea

No worries mate! This is what this site is all about, it's about helping each other! :thumbsup:

I like my design better as the box is totally sealed and cannot let dust, water, dew or any other elements in. Obviously when i sealed it up i fed the excess wire through the port hole and then you pretty much have a bandpass box :thumbsup:

Well, why didn't you put a thread up with the measurements then???? Because when I was looking for measurements at the beginning, there were no measurements on the internet. So I designed my own and posted a thread with measurements to help others!!!!

Last edited:

oliverRWAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
More specifically, a single reflex bandpass box. Although, due to the port seup, may respond slightly differently than a usual setup.

As soon as I've chosen a woofer, I'm going to build me one of these. Unfortunately, my woofer of choice won't fit as it has a rather large magnet (DD 510a).

Vg-ute-mad, why the 128 degree angle? Is that so the box fits flush while giving the driver some excursion space, or to tweak the box volume? Becuase i would've thought that a flat faced mount, so the woofer fired directly into the port would've been more effective and simpler to build.

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
More specifically, a single reflex bandpass box. Although, due to the port seup, may respond slightly differently than a usual setup.

As soon as I've chosen a woofer, I'm going to build me one of these. Unfortunately, my woofer of choice won't fit as it has a rather large magnet (DD 510a).

Vg-ute-mad, why the 128 degree angle? Is that so the box fits flush while giving the driver some excursion space, or to tweak the box volume? Becuase i would've thought that a flat faced mount, so the woofer fired directly into the port would've been more effective and simpler to build.

You're not wrong, the DD would of been a nice sub to run! I think the mounting depth on the DD 510a's are 5.875 inches. In that case, you will be fine! After I had the 12" in, I put in a Fusion PP-SW10E with a mounting depth of 6-3/8 inches. All I did was make a round 18mm mdf spacer. Geeeeez I miss that sub!

The reason for the 128 degree angle, is so I could fit a 12" in. If it was square (up and down) it would only be able to fit a 10" in.

oliverRWAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
So, you reckon the DD would fit? Haven't bought it yet, wanted to be sure it would fit and all that good stuff.

Looks like I may be stealing your design and making some adjustments..

oliverRWAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
Actually, now that I think about it, using a flat mount to fit the DD's magnet, the front chamber would probably be almost gone. I really must find out exactly how much effect the comparative size of the chambers has on the overall effectiveness of the design.

Otherwise, I've also been looking at Rockford Fosgate P3SD10s as well, still using a single reflex bandpass enclosure, but allowing for far more mounting space as it is a slimline.

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
I recon that would be a great option as well. It would also allow you to port it as well.

Have a sticky at the manual for the RF P3SD10S . It has specs on suitable enclosures for sealed and ported.

The enclosure I built was a 27L, which was designed for my sub at the time. Now, for a ported enclosure suited to the RF P3SD10S, it's a 21.24L, with a 3 x 12" port. Having a shallow mount sub, would give you the option to go bandpass though.

I can't recommend the shallow mounted subs to you, as I really haven't payed to much attention to them, as I have always stuck with what I know. All I can say is, go and have a listen to a couple and decide on what you hear.

Last edited:

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II

oliverRWAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
Yeah mate, came with one.
I'm thinking I will just build your box for now, and see how it goes. Will build and put up pics when I come back from my course in October.