Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VG Ute Restoration

Walshy227

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VU S Ute
Hey, so I have a white 1991 VG V6 Ute sitting unregistered at home, hasn't been driven in a few weeks as it ran out of rego. It was my first car and I finally have another, being a 2001 Mitsubishi TJ Magna which is quick but I prefer my ute. The ute has 330 000 kms on the clock and is in need of a complete overhaul! I have a list of things wrong with it that NEED to be fixed in order to make it a daily driver for me, but also I have some things I would like to do but aren't necessary. I am posting this on here not only to see what you guys suggest, but also where I can get all the parts, whether or not I can easily do it myself (no mechanical experience), and the cheapest way to do it.

Things that are good about the car:
- it's a manual
- it's a V6 (p-plate legal)

Yeah, that about it!

Things that need fixing (to name a few):
- seats: it currently has the bench seat and the material on them is all torn to bits.
- Interior trim: I want to know if I can pull everything out (dash, door trims, etc.) and paint them or if I can get new stuff in a better colour than brown.
- air conditioning: it has no A/C and my local town is extremely hot in summer and extremely cold in winter so a nice AC/Heater would be nice.
- rubber door seals: the door seals are currently falling off and perishing.
- tonneau cover: just a soft one but I have the "sports bars" or whatever they are called on the back so will I need to get it cut to fit or something?
- centre console: upon replacement of the seats, a centre console with cup holders and a storage would be amazing but I have no idea how to get a hold of one.
- handbrake: it was enough struggle getting my handbrake cable replaced since they don't make them on the door side anymore, so any tips on re-positioning it in the centre would be great.
- gear stick: the 5 speed manual is fine and I don't need a short shifter or anything, however I would like to know, if I get a nice centre console, is it possible to get a nice leather gear boot surround to fit rather than the standard frilly plastic that makes me feel like a truck driver? And a nice gear knob?
- carpet/roof lining: The carpet on the floor is all faded and worn from time and the headlining is all saggy and a strange greyish colour, would I be able to fix these up and make them like new or am I better off getting new?
- instruments: the instrument cluster is not necessarily a big issue but a new one would be nice with a tachometer. also, my fuel gauge doesn't work properly so I never know how much I have.
- lights: so a few things with lights:
- the cabin light on the roof needs to be replaced if possible
- the headlights are very poor and I can hardly see where I'm going, should I replace the bulb, plastic cover or the whole unit?
- the handbrake light only works when it wants to and keeps flickering all the time.
- steering wheel: already it has an aftermarket wheel but it's in terrible condition so needs replacing. Also - is it at all possible to get a newer commodore wheel that can be adjusted and/or have stereo controls on the wheel? Again - not necessary but would be nice!
- wheels: currently sitting on little 15" wheels that are an eyesore, what would be the best size to go to and also should I lower the ute on the bigger wheels?
- window tint: I don't what the legal tint level is but I want them as dark as possible and how cheaply could I get it done?
- central locking and power windows: these are things I would be able to do myself but if I have a centre console, would it be possible to have the window buttons located on the centre console like in newer commodores?
- one other thing is, I am 6'1 and it's a little struggle sitting comfortably with the steering wheel so low and the roof lining sagging down. is there anything I can do to make more room?

That is pretty much most of what I want to do. I don't know what performance mods to do. I want to get an idea of how much this would all cost and to see if it's worth it, because with all that done, I would probably keep the ute for at least another few years. If it costs way too much I suppose I wouldn't do it but I love this old ute and I would love to see it come back to life!

Any help, tips or other ideas would be incredible! Or if anyone has a VG ute and has done any of this to it, lemme know! Also, any performance mods you'd suggest, I'm happy to listen!

Thanks, Julian.

Ziller

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 gtr
It's a hell of a list you would be better off finding another shell at the wreckers and transferring parts if you have sentimental reasons for keeping it because financially you will loose with a list like that .
Scott

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Hey Julian,
On the plus side your old VG is a good basic easy to work on unit and you could probably find a similar year upmarket sedan with a lot of the bits you want for a few hundred dollars

On the negative side....you'll need a lot of spare time!

Sav.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
take your list of absolute necessaries, and the list of what you want to do, add it all up and decide. youll never get back what you spend on a 20+ year old commodore, just see any money spent as being burned never to come back and have fun...

if you want a bunch of luxury you might think of just buying a vn calais donor car and swapping all the stuff over. maybe find one thats crashed or something. all the stuff youve listed can be fixed. you can get brand new after market headlights and indicators on ebay no prob. headliners can be retrimmed, carpets can be replaced or cleaned.

you should start a thread in this section VN - VP - VG - VQ and remember, pics or it didnt happen, so take plenty of what your doing. welcome to JC