Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VG Ute running rough

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
I have a 90 VG V6 ute S1, its got a few issues with it. I have really tried nothing to correct it but am gonna look more into it when I start driving it.
It smells like it over fuels abit, if you give it a boot it takes abit to settle back to a nice idle. Either wants to rev hight for abit or nearly stalls. Smells fuely often.
It dose use abit of fuel..about 350kms highway. You can not coast at low speeds and it gets all jerky (manual).
A few odd things I have noticed is - it has a tacho dash but seems to not work as it should, dosent seem to rev in time like it should and seems slow. I notice rev increases maybe 50-100rpm but tacho seems not to register minor rev changes and the temp always seem to not move.

I`m going to try-
clean/replace O2 sensor
clean TB and IAC sensor
replace coil pack/DFI with later model units

Anyone able to suggest anything or tell me am I on the right track and maybe missing seeing a issue

Ben Mcg

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG Commodore Ute
dude i have exactly the same car and i have the fuel problem aswell its really weird...

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
the reason I mentioned the dash issue was I was reading another post and they were saying that sensor data goes to the dash first and then to the ecu. If this is the case maybe the car always things its cold hense running rich all the time. Main issues that concern me is the fuel smell and the jerking when coasting.
Will take a crack at a few things this weekend and see how I go.

Any suggesting would help me and now ben

baz4jen

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG Commodre ute
I also have a VG ute....the rough idle sounds like your fuel regulator....I had the same problem...replaced it and all it good. I get about 9.5-10km per litre on the highway doing about 110kmph

Bazza

ST1LO

Reaction score
Members Ride
car
have you ran a diagnostic scan? mine was doing a similar thing, turns out it was a TPS.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
I personally havent, will do this weekend. Only got it back on the road today. Bit of a up and down idle and still got the jerks