Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vg V6 running temperature

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Hey guys,

My VG V6 has been running at 100degC since I’ve owned it. I thought it was too high & I went & flushed it out & installed a new thermostat. I have a new 3 row alloy radiator in it & the fan runs off a switch in the cab. After refilling it I took it for a run & put more coolant in it when I got back. It now runs at 110degC & I’m not happy! Shouldn’t they run at about 80-90deg all the time. The only thing I haven’t replaced is the water pump & i’m going to do that soon. Any ideas???

Cheers........Pete!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Was the 3 row a full alloy one from eBay? The three rows can sometimes not be efficient enough as the water jackets are thinner and transfer less heat than a two core. Also how are you measuring the temp? The sensors on the gauge can play up and give a false reading.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Was the 3 row a full alloy one from eBay? The three rows can sometimes not be efficient enough as the water jackets are thinner and transfer less heat than a two core. Also how are you measuring the temp? The sensors on the gauge can play up and give a false reading.
Hi, yes it was a full alloy one from eBay but the original one ran at the same temp, although I replaced it as it looked pretty sad. As the original temp gauge wasn’t working I bought a speco gauge with its own sensor & I have been using that.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I just bought a full alloy 2 core and not the 3 core as the V6 3 core apparently won't work as well as a 2 core, for reasons mentioned above.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Sure that you haven't got an airlock in the coolant system?

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Sure that you haven't got an airlock in the coolant system?
Anything is possible MikeC but I went to great pains to try & avoid that happening but who knows.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
I just bought a full alloy 2 core and not the 3 core as the V6 3 core apparently won't work as well as a 2 core, for reasons mentioned above.
I might have done myself a disservice buying the 3 core. One would assume that a 3 core would be better than a 2 core but serves me right for not doing my homework. I might give the original one a good flush out & try it but the vanes are pretty knocked around in it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I bled my rad the other day for 25mins and it still didn't get all the air out. In the air I was like **** it and top the overflow up the next morning, once it drawed down. Mine never overheated even with a bit of air in the system.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
I bled my rad the other day for 25mins and it still didn't get all the air out. In the air I was like **** it and top the overflow up the next morning, once it drawed down. Mine never overheated even with a bit of air in the system.
That’s the trouble with the Buick engine, they are pigs to get the air out of, no bleed screws. I’ve even thought of putting a bleed screw in the steel pipe around the back where it goes into the thermostat housing hose.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I might have done myself a disservice buying the 3 core. One would assume that a 3 core would be better than a 2 core but serves me right for not doing my homework. I might give the original one a good flush out & try it but the vanes are pretty knocked around in it.
Don't take my post as Gospel, but when I was researching which one to buy this in the end is what persuaded me to not go with the three core. The original is a 2 core and I was told it is sufficient on a V6.