Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vg V6 running temperature

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Don't take my post as Gospel, but when I was researching which one to buy this in the end is what persuaded me to not go with the three core. The original is a 2 core and I was told it is sufficient on a V6.
What temp does yours run at???

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine has a bleed screw in the housing but waiting for the bastard to get hot enough was what made me give up. I normally wait it out it but it got dark because it took so long to get hot.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What temp does yours run at???

1/3 on the stock gauge not sure what temp that is. Once it climbs to about 1/2 way and a bit the thermos kick in and it drops down to normal temp.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Mine has a bleed screw in the housing but waiting for the bastard to get hot enough was what made me give up. I normally wait it out it but it got dark because it took so long to get hot.
I’m thinking a bleed screw is gonna be the way to go, saves a lot of guessing & tantrums.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd actually like it to run a bit hotter as the heater doesn't get warm enough unless the temp is around 1/2 way on the gauge.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
1/3 on the stock gauge not sure what temp that is. Once it climbs to about 1/2 way and a bit the thermos kick in and it drops down to normal temp.
Ok sounds a lot cooler than mine. I might try the stock gauge again as I put another dash in it yesterday as the odometer wasn’t working in the old one.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Where is the thermostat housing on the early Buick? Can you fit a VR housing with bleed screw?

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Where is the thermostat housing on the early Buick? Can you fit a VR housing with bleed screw?
Totally different housing, only has one bolt and an O ring & it’s at the back under the throttle body. It’s a real fun job replacing a thermostat.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Different manifold hey. Would a later model manifold fit? I know there are some differences with the rocker gear with later models. But not sure what else they changed.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Did you turn the heater on when bleeding the system?