Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vg V6 running temperature

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The two sensors can play up on VR's. Presumably early Buick have the same issue? First thing to try though is swapping the rad back over to see if the running temp lowers. With mine I can run with no fans for up to 10mins in traffic on a cold night and it won't get past 3/4 during this time. I know this because I have issues with my engine fan relay socket that sometimes causes it to stop working.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
They have higher pressure cap so can run hotter before boiling over.

Found that usually need to bleed them 2-3 times,you'll know as each time it's done temp needle sits lower & takes alot longer to get hot enough for fan to come on...sometimes you'll think temp gauge is seized on operating temp line.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Well guys I pulled the water pump off & it looks perfect to me so there is no issue there. I will put the new one on just because it’s there & it will make me feel better.

Is the timing cover seal replaceable from the exterior or does the cover have to come off to do it internally.

Attachments

• 3AE49D7C-AB20-4355-98BD-CFF7E1519915.jpeg
    3AE49D7C-AB20-4355-98BD-CFF7E1519915.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You have to remove the timing cover to fit a new gasket. Balancer needs to come off too. They don't leak terribly often. If its not leaking then you leave it alone.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
You have to remove the timing cover to fit a new gasket. Balancer needs to come off too. They don't leak terribly often. If its not leaking then you leave it alone.
There is a bit of an oil leak down there but not really bad. I went over the timing cover bolts and they were all a bit loose so it may have been coming from there but I’ll keep an eye on it. I do over a 1,000 k’s a week so I need reliability.