Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vg V6 running temperature

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Different manifold hey. Would a later model manifold fit?
Not sure but don’t wanna go down that road. It’s a great motor with heaps of go, just need to sort this temp thing out. I can easily put a bleed screw in it, I’ll have a look at it on my days off.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Do you have access to an infra red thermometer to see if hot water is circulating through the radiator?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did you turn the heater on when bleeding the system?

I had mine turned on but I reckon the go is to have it turned off until you get most of the air out and the engine is right up to the point where the fans are kicking in. Otherwise it seems to make the engine take way longer to heat up.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Does your bus have thermos like the VR or clutch fan like V8s?

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
I had mine turned on but I reckon the go is to have it turned off until you get most of the air out and the engine is right up to the point where the fans are kicking in. Otherwise it seems to make the engine take way longer to heat up.
I’ve heard someone say they actually take the heater return hose off until they are sure there is no air coming through! Anyone tried that one??

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Gotta hit the hay guys, up at 3.30 for work. I’ll check back tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's right you said that I forgot. Normally the ECM should recognise the temp and the fan kick in above a certain temp. Have you rewired this so that does not occur anymore?

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
That's right you said that I forgot. Normally the ECM should recognise the temp and the fan kick in above a certain temp. Have you rewired this so that does not occur anymore?
Yes I had to as the ecm wasn’t recognising it & I wasn’t about to go searching for a dodgy wire to the ecm, lol. Plus the young fella that owned it prior to me had bodgied up so much wiring it took me weeks to sort it all out & get it back to something like original.