Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vg vp column shift v8????

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq caprice v8 vq v8 vs ss man
So I have acquired a vp column shift v6 auto ute engine and trans are fine but I wouldn't mind throwing a 5lt auto in it have one gathering dust
Question is will the boss on the fire wall and the linkages clear the bell housing and back of the motor
I've never seen and can't find anywhere on here or the rest of the internet a column shift v8 vn thru vs sedan wagon ute
Personally I like the column shift in a ute cause I'm 6ft4 so leg room is at a premium and the column shift floors are different to accomodate the dicky seat so changing it to floor shift isn't something I want to do

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Good luck but there's no column shift for the automatic transmission listed in the VP/VQ original (green covered) GMH manual. But maybe someone's done it before.

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
I doubt they would have covered it again in the vp vq manual as it the same as vn and quite rare and no real point
vr was and update of it to include the wiper stalk on the colunm

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Someone here did it last year think it was vr/s ute with vt auto..something that had inhibutor on auto instead of shifter.

seems possible just have to check it out after driveline is fitted then work out what to modify.

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmm well if they fitted a vt 5lt trans I'd say a turbo 700 should fit better being a bit smaller being a one peice bell housing and case

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Not smaller basically same just bracket to side of auto was different.

v6 selector rod should be different length to v8

Just got to compare it all in fitted to vehicle & work out the differences.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Good luck but there's no column shift for the automatic transmission listed in the VP/VQ original (green covered) GMH manual. But maybe someone's done it before.
Mine had the wiring, and provisions for the hardware. They also had a bench seat that went in them. Slightly different layout for the front radio area/ switches etc.

V6 certainly has no issue. I'm not certain if 5ltr ever had column shift. All utes VG-VS have the plug for the shifter to be column already in the harness. It is tucked away behind the right hand side of the car, roughly under the bottom left corner of the instrument cluster.

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mine had the wiring, and provisions for the hardware. They also had a bench seat that went in them. Slightly different layout for the front radio area/ switches etc.

V6 certainly has no issue. I'm not certain if 5ltr ever had column shift. All utes VG-VS have the plug for the shifter to be column already in the harness. It is tucked away behind the right hand side of the car, roughly under the bottom left corner of the instrument cluster.
My vp s2 executive wagon has the park switch wiring on the colunm even tho it's floor shift it's also got cruise control and and abs so and provisions for power windows which I've added kind of a strange wiring harness combo having the column wiring there

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not smaller basically same just bracket to side of auto was different.

v6 selector rod should be different length to v8

Just got to compare it all in fitted to vehicle & work out the differences.
I'm not worried about making linkages to suit it would be as simple as checking the flat bar on the side of the trans is long enough and if not make a v8 length one but with the rectangle hole at the column shift angle
I'm interested to know if the bell housing will clear the linkage from where the clutch cable would go across to the passangers side where the bracket is located to transfer motion down
Or do I use a b and m cable shift set up to attach the shifter to the trans cause all the parts are avalable with out the shifter it's self

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
I found the thread from gus the snail sounds like he had problems with the park switch more than anything else but for all intensive purposes it sounds like it all fitted and cleared and worked so I might have a crack at it soon when I've got the time to do it