Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH 308 carby to inlet manifold bolts??

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
hi guys, the tool that had my car before me, stripped the bolts holding the quadrajet on, and i rebuilt the carby, and now i cant put it back on cause the two front bolt holes are screwed......,

the left hole had a bigger bolt put through by the looks of it he also drilled the carby out to fit the bolt through aswell, the other bolt is stripped and wont screw in, and i cant fit a bigger bolt into the left hole on the carby without drilling it out, which i am definately not doing.

if i get a thicker bolt, with enough length to stick out of the top of the carby from the inlet, tap a new thread slightly bigger into the inlet manifold, put the bolt on a lathe, make a thread that fits the manifold on the bottom end, then machine the bolt thickness above the thread that goes into the inlet small enough to fit through the carby and put a smaller thread on top? i dont know if you guys get what i mean, i can draw up a diagram later if its not understandable

i dont think theres much that can go wrong but last thing i want is to crack my manifold or something and have fun taking it off.....

any other ideas please share, want easiest fix possible but not dodgy

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
easy fix...get a machine shop/engineering place to put helicoils in
then all back to normal (you keep manifold and Quaddie bolts on normally)

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
the quaddies hole has been drilled.....and how much would that cost me?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I can fix it for you. $50 +postage?

Has the manifold been opened up at all?
Can do that too...

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
not taking the manifold off.....just said before, soooo the postage must be putting urself in a box and coming over here?:p

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
simple fix if you cbf spending any cash: get a bolt, grind down about 15mm of the thread so it tapers. then get a 2mm cutting wheel on the angle grinder and cut two deep grooves into the bolt along the length, one on either side. congrats, you have now made a self tapping bolt. tighten it up and never ever take it off again :p