Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vh 308 in tank fuel pump

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The weld in new style one looks like it's the way to go. Even the aftermarket tanks require the original sender which if it fails cannot be bought new. Why bother with that old crap when no one supports it no more?

Why bother with old crap....It's because some people enjoy the thrill of the chase finding old parts and getting those old parts working again.

Another brand car of mine, had the fuel sender unit in the tank crap itself.....3 months of solid chasing I found another one, which was rusty and full of crap in the filter.....3 days soaking in inox and me preying like all heck, I got the thing working...

Yeah, I could have the same attitude you have just displayed, but nope...I was bought up in the era, where you went looking for the necessary 2nd hand parts and did what ever you had to to get them working again.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Why bother with old crap....It's because some people enjoy the thrill of the chase finding old parts and getting those old parts working again.

Another brand car of mine, had the fuel sender unit in the tank crap itself.....3 months of solid chasing I found another one, which was rusty and full of crap in the filter.....3 days soaking in inox and me preying like all heck, I got the thing working...

Yeah, I could have the same attitude you have just displayed, but nope...I was bought up in the era, where you went looking for the necessary 2nd hand parts and did what ever you had to to get them working again.

You were also brought up in the era when parts lasted. The swirl pot is plastic in commodores yea that lasts somehow. But the sender unit is the same as all cars with plastic tanks it's made of plastic.

There will be a point in time where senders won't be avaliable. At this time you have no option but to change senders and that time is fast approaching.

Ebay is $200 plus postage for a second hand unit that's got no warrantee. I called Rare Spares and I was told second hand only and they're rocking horse ****.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You were also brought up in the era when parts lasted. The swirl pot is plastic in commodores yea that lasts somehow. But the sender unit is the same as all cars with plastic tanks it's made of plastic.

There will be a point in time where senders won't be avaliable. At this time you have no option but to change senders and that time is fast approaching.

Ebay is $200 plus postage for a second hand unit that's got no warrantee. I called Rare Spares and I was told second hand only and they're rocking horse ****.

Yes there will be times were they won't be available, which is why being bought up in my era pays dividends....You learn to find stuff, fix stuff, rather than jump on the internet and buy a new bit.

And VS senders being rocking horse ****...I say bullshit....I just spent 3 days away and I reckon I found 12 VR/VS commodores in various states of disrepair.

I could make 1 phone call now and have at least 3 on my door step within 4 hours......And the guarantee is, fit them and if it doesn't work, I'lll get you one that does

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yes there will be times were they won't be available, which is why being bought up in my era pays dividends....You learn to find stuff, fix stuff, rather than jump on the internet and buy a new bit.

And VS senders being rocking horse ****...I say bullshit....I just spent 3 days away and I reckon I found 12 VR/VS commodores in various states of disrepair.

I could make 1 phone call now and have at least 3 on my door step within 4 hours......And the guarantee is, fit them and if it doesn't work, I'lll get you one that does

Yea man go argue that with Rare Spares.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yea man go argue that with Rare Spares.

I do enjoy arguing with places like that.....Got a phone number with the store you dealt with, so I can ring them and give them the area, where I found the ones I found

You see, they don't get out and look....They are like you...Speak crap, saying it's rocking horse **** because they can't be fagged actually looking for the stuff using their own feet

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
Just get a efi tank and make sure you use the sender that comes with it and the sender plug. I just installed an 80L drop tank in my VK from a VQ Statesman. Return line inside the tank had perished so I just bought a piece of submersable fuel line and used some 16" long nose pliers to push it back on the return line fitting and spring clamp inside the tank coz I couldn't get my hand in there then using a long drill bit drilled a small hole the same diameter as the return line hose in the top egde of the swirl pot and fed the hose through so swirl pot stays full. Wired in the sender plug to the VK sender wires and gauge works fine. Piece of piss brus! But it's your ride so I guess it's up to you really. Not having a go at ya just giving you some ideas :)

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just get a efi tank and make sure you use the sender that comes with it and the sender plug. I just installed an 80L drop tank in my VK from a VQ Statesman. Return line inside the tank had perished so I just bought a piece of submersable fuel line and used some 16" long nose pliers to push it back on the return line fitting and spring clamp inside the tank coz I couldn't get my hand in there then using a long drill bit drilled a small hole the same diameter as the return line hose in the top egde of the swirl pot and fed the hose through so swirl pot stays full. Wired in the sender plug to the VK sender wires and gauge works fine. Piece of piss brus! But it's your ride so I guess it's up to you really. Not having a go at ya just giving you some ideas :)

Sedans are a different story to the utes. For whatever reason they moved the swirl pot in the ute tank, I tried for 2 hours with a thick piece of wire to pop the nozzle back in with new submersible fuel hose. I had a mirror in there too.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sedans are a different story to the utes. For whatever reason they moved the swirl pot in the ute tank, I tried for 2 hours with a thick piece of wire to pop the nozzle back in with new submersible fuel hose. I had a mirror in there too.

Waiting for a phone number Shane...~You are online as of this post

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Better to efi tank over original obviously it's already setup for efi BUT also later model bolt in sender unit has much better availbility...you can still buy dozens of them cheaper from wreckers unlike the early girl tanks.

efihardware sell bulkheads/inspection plates if you want to be able to easier access to inside tank or even fit retro kit thing into a tank or even go vt or ve pumps.

https://www.efihardware.com/products/2992/bulkhead-fuel-surge-tank-steel

No way I'd want to drive my gas guzzling cars without working fuel gauge.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Better to efi tank over original obviously it's already setup for efi BUT also later model bolt in sender unit has much better availbility...you can still buy dozens of them cheaper from wreckers unlike the early girl tanks.

efihardware sell bulkheads/inspection plates if you want to be able to easier access to inside tank or even fit retro kit thing into a tank or even go vt or ve pumps.

https://www.efihardware.com/products/2992/bulkhead-fuel-surge-tank-steel

No way I'd want to drive my gas guzzling cars without working fuel gauge.

If only the guys that sell the 110l aftermarket tanks for the utes used the later model assemblies. I would pay the $1100 for the tank they want plus the $300 or so for the pump and assembly. But they told me the tanks use the original sender units which can't be repaired only replaced with a diminishing supply......