Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vh 308 trimatic to t5 conversion

benny999

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle 5ltr 83
hi guys been looking at converting the old girl to a manual for a while thinking of using the t5 out a vn onwards what are your thought i had a look at the rod shops kits and they have a plate that goes in between not sure on that idea wouldn't that make it weaker?? i was told there's not much difference in the bell housing bolts and you could drill the bell housing to suit is this true. what do you guys recommend i do can you get a custom bell housing made to suit.

also im looking for the rubbers and washers and stuff that on the cable just after the pedal box weres a good place to find them had a good look on ebay couldn't find any.

thanks,
Ben

also heres a link to the kit im talking about from the rod shop
Gearbox conversion kit

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
hey mate to be honest your better off getting a falcon 6 t5 gearbox as that will make your shifter come up in the right spot. as the holden ones are too long and make the shifter come out too far back
crs also sell bell housings to suit i think roughly a whole kit including cross members and clutch is something around the 1200 dollar mark.

sl/x.vh.350holley

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sl/x 5speed
nu mate dont do that no ford part belong on a holden iv got the t5 in mine and it gos hard get the plat and then drill it out or find an sl/x thay come out whith the 5 speed thats wot iv got

1stTimeV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH
What is wrong with using an Aussie 4 speed... the m21 will bolt straight on to the trimatic pattern so much less hassle from start to finish. I have one on my 308 and it is a great gearbox although i would love a full manual trimatic!!

the grass is always greener

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
ford dont make the gearboxes tremec do. so its not a "ford part"

bjwynd

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sl
have a good look at parts on a holden a lot of light covers door handels ect have ford writen on the back i dont like fords and it makes me cringe every time i see it

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
haha me neither mate but ford dont make their own gearboxes, so there's nothing wrong with using one out of an e series falcon

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
only problem with the Ford T5 is the ratios are different to the V8 box, if the lower ratios don't bother you, then no probs - as mentioned the stick does line up better in the early model Commodores
you can buy an entire adaptor bell housing that goes from Aussie pattern to T5
Dellow Automotive sells them (well at least they used to) Expect to pay around $400 though

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
couldn't find them on dellow when i had a quick look castemaine rodshop do make them though

benny999

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle 5ltr 83
hey mate to be honest your better off getting a falcon 6 t5 gearbox as that will make your shifter come up in the right spot. as the holden ones are too long and make the shifter come out too far back
crs also sell bell housings to suit i think roughly a whole kit including cross members and clutch is something around the 1200 dollar mark.

do you know which ford 6 t5 id be looking for?? ea to el (ebay link Ford Falcon EA EB EF EL 6CL T5 Gearbox Reconditioned (eBay item 230556705847 end time 29-Dec-10 09:07:04 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats ) and im guess this conversion kit BH-086B

thanks