Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH 4.2 v8 motor fuel additives

AndrewC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX
Howdy Commodore lovers,

Help! I have been told that I can run my 4.2 vh on 98 high octane fuel such as vpower and I don't need to add fuel additives. I have only just purchased the car and don't want to stuff my motor. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. The heads on the motor have not been modified, she's as standard as the day it left the factory.

Cheers,
Andrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
you'll need to add a valve seat lubricant like flash lube.. there used to be lead in fuel that lubricated the soft seated valves of the older cars but they have taken lead out of fuels to be safer.. modern engines have hardened valve seats so they dont need a lube.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
hey ari what makes 98 different becides octain... why can you run it without a valve lubricant

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Read my numerous posts on fuel additives.

Basically 2 reasons
The additives burn at a much lower temp so they will not actually prevent valve seat recession.

The higher the octane fuel the lower the combustion temp

Scott

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
you'll need to add a valve seat lubricant like flash lube.. there used to be lead in fuel that lubricated the soft seated valves of the older cars but they have taken lead out of fuels to be safer.. modern engines have hardened valve seats so they dont need a lube.

Soft valve seats? You mean the cast iron, used in all Holden motors right upto the year 2000?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Soft valve seats? You mean the cast iron, used in all Holden motors right upto the year 2000?

Post 86 saw the introduction of hardened seats being machined into the cast heads which is a relatively straight forward job

How ever converting a car to run on regular 91 octane unleaded is more than just changing valves & seats.

Scott