Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH 6 CYL Commodore Trimatic To T700 Conversion

malemailmaleman

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SLE SUPERCHARGED 208
G'day all, We i have finally embarked on my way to getting rid of my Trimatic and putting in a T700. So far not too many problems but i need to know what colour wires do what in the transmission plug on the left hand side of the T700. There are three wires there ... No. 1 is pink with a blue trace ....No.2 is solid light blue and No.3 is grey with a red trace. I have been told one is an earth , one is a power supply for the torque convertor lockup and the other is a power for the temperature sensor in the trans to stop it from going into convertor lockup when the transmission is still cold.

Any ideas on the wiring harness colours would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shane

malemailmaleman

Reaction score
Members Ride
WOOOO HOOOOOO All Finished

Well all done and only took 4 days ( i am fussy) .... I fitted the trans no problems infact that was really easy , I bought a kit from Castlemaine Rod Shop and everything went great. The wiring was quite simple I bought a shifter from a VL Commodore and used the power button as the switch for the torque convertor lockup. The gearbox is designed to lock the torque convertor in every gear after and including second gear once the TCC solinoid is powered so I took the power supply from the reverse light power feed at the inhibitor switch and also fitted a relay in the console and hooked it up to the old "detent" switch to allow the torque convertor to be disengaged under full throttle. The hardest part was making a new gear lever selector rod (heaps of bending) and filing the gear selector slots to give me an extra spot for the overdrive. I used a new modified speedo cable (some teething problems there) also supplied by Castlemaine Rod Shop and I used fuel line banjo fittings and flexable transmission hose for the cooler lines, I also had to shorten the tailshaft and modify a VN commodore kickdown/throttle cable bracket to house the new kickdown cable(I measured the old distance (160mm closed and 195mm fully open) from and existing commodore throttle body) ........ But I tell you my VH SLE has never gone so well. At 110 km/h it does 1400rpm with the torque convertor locked and has heaps better acceleration.
If Your interested here is the approximate costs.

Conversion Kit $ 535.00
Reconditioned Transmission $1200.00
Tailshaft Conversion $ 225.00 (inc. New Unijoints)
VL Shifter and Kickdown
Bracket, VN gear selector
lever, female transmission
wiring plug and bits and bobs
from the local wreckers $ 150.00
Trans Oil , trans hose ,
fittings hose clamps ect. $ 95.00
Blood , scratches , sweat
and tears $ Priceless :)

TOTAL $ 2205 +/- 100

malemailmaleman

Reaction score
Members Ride
SCUMMY said:
sounds good im doing the t700 swap as well to my vk but im doing the motor as well ;)
did u take pics as u did it?

No sorry no pics...... I all went too fast...... Sorted speedo out today and gave the car a service at the same time. Only 1 thing left to do ...... Inspection cover modification/manufacture hopefully will be easy.
The car is going to spend some more time on the hoist so i might take some photos.

Last edited: