Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH blue 202 ignition problems

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
yeah a bit. but from the sounds of it you might have needed a ballast resistor with that coil, and if you have an ignition module then you shouldnt use a resistor=theres your problem.

you should really get yourself a bosch HEC715 if its an electronic ignition.

having said all that i have NFI what a IC5 echlin is, but a quick google search brought up a 1975 ford... so am guessing its a ballast resistor type

Super **** auto refereed me to this one. Never seen it on a 202 before so i just grabbed the other type which was the Bosch SU12R. Was contemplating grabing the GT40R i think it was, but i dont see why i need such a spark like that.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
also i was told by a mechanic you dont need the resistor on electronic ignition.

*sigh* your mechanic is correct, an electronic ignition will not function properley with a balast resistor, nor will a coil that requires a balast fuction without one (it will, for a bit, but it will die) i am saying/asking if the coil you mentioned was a balast type coil, and if so then it wouldnt suit the HEI (electronic ignition) system that you are running. instead you will need a bosch HEC715 or HEC716 (male or female) coil for it to operate.

oh and seq4x4, i wouldnt bother with anything but the HEC series. they are perfect. not too flashy but they are very reliable. you wont need anything special unless you are running dual plug, dual point, or MSD systems.

haynzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 202
i still havnt figured it out been to busy to try so i pulled the dizzy and coil from my kinga and chucked it in, got the battery on charge so tomorrow ill know if that works.

codfishface

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK SL - 79 VB 253
Swapping "known good" for "suspect" is the way to go......but

If you renewed all the components - coil,leads,cap,rotor _ during your service...well, they should be good...to a point.

As your first post states, all was good till your trip to the shops, I would be checking to see whether a lead or component has come loose during your "shake down" run.

Don't over complicate it. It was running after all.

All the electrics in our old girls have seen a lot of service. Pay attention to the 25year old crimp joints and wiring. You may have upset some with your work.

Coils and Dissy's are pretty straight forward devices. Give them volts and mechanical movement and they either work or they don't. Think connectivity. Are the plug ends good? Has heat affected anything? Did that speed bump knock something off?

Fuel-Spark-Compression-Vrooooom.

Keep It Simple.

haynzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 202
thanks mate, thats the best reply i got. As I said in my last post i put the dizzy and coil from the kingswood in there and the next morning it fired fine. little out of time but that was a quick fix. The pickup coil I pulled tested fine so it must be the ignition module. Not to worry the next morning went out to go to work; cars been broken into, windscreen smashed, ignition screwed. So there I was stuck for work again. I cracked the @#!*# and went and bought my mates VN. So im stripping the VH. Ill post a new thred for parts shortly. Cheers guys

Drop it

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh commodore
I had the same problem but I was on the highway and went to overtake someone and my car just died. I got racq to come out and they (racq technition) said I had problems with distrubutor/ coil because there was no spark. So off I went to the local car shop and bought various electronic stuff and to no avail the car still didn't work. So I ended up buying a new ignition module although I took photos and wrote down the wiring sequence down I ended up with no spark still. In the end I rang a mobile mechanic and within 1/2 an hour he had my car running. Apparently the wiring on the module was wrong. But thanks to jake from out and about mechanical for fixing my car. I'm just glad I didn't go out and buy **** I didn't really need.