Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH blue 202 ignition problems

haynzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 202
Hi all,
This is my first time posting here and I hope you can help.

Id been at the shops yesterday, jumped back in the car started her up, took off 5 metres and it stalled. Now it is still not firing. I did a service last week and replaced the plugs, leads, coil, Cap and rotor. so none of these are the issue. I have checked wiring and it all seems to be tight and in the correct place.

I dont know much about the ignition module and my "HAYNES" manual isnt worth the paper isnt printed on. I have noticed both the green and pink wire on the module are reading +12V is this right?

Also I cant get spark out of the coil lead (using a screw in end of lead) but it measures +12V with my meter. now i presume i should get a lot more than 12v out of the top of the coil.

Please help me im completely confused and its so hot underneath the bonnet!!! Any extra wiring diagrams would be helpful too if there detailed. thanks heaps guys

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Are you getting a spark at the plug(s)? Is the rotor turning when you you turn it over? Did it cough and splutter or did it just die - as in dead like when you turn the iginition off?

haynzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 202
No spark at plugs, the rotor is turning and it just died. The more I look at it this morning i think maybe the pick up coil (stator) could be wrong cause everything else seems fine. I tested all the wiring today but i have no info on the pick up.

haynzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 202
IC5 its an echlin ignition oil filled type. Does anybody know anything about the ignition module?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Does anybody know anything about the ignition module?

yeah a bit. but from the sounds of it you might have needed a ballast resistor with that coil, and if you have an ignition module then you shouldnt use a resistor=theres your problem.

you should really get yourself a bosch HEC715 if its an electronic ignition.

having said all that i have NFI what a IC5 echlin is, but a quick google search brought up a 1975 ford... so am guessing its a ballast resistor type

haynzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 202
my coil doesnt have a resistor. I have ordered a new pick up coil for tomorrow this should sort it out. thanks for your help .

haynzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh 202
I have tried 4 different coils. including the bosch, none start the thing. the car was running then stopped, wouldnt it have not started at all if i needed the resistor. also i was told by a mechanic you dont need the resistor on electronic ignition.