Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH Boot spring install

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very thirsty VT & VH project under way! YAY!!
Garvs, The smaller of the two pictures seems to have the original springs still attached. Do you think the struts were installed to suplement the springs or replace them? I would have thought that you would be able to replace the springs completely with struts.

garvs

Reaction score
Garvs, The smaller of the two pictures seems to have the original springs still attached. Do you think the struts were installed to suplement the springs or replace them? I would have thought that you would be able to replace the springs completely with struts.

the guy used the strut to keep the boot open because of the brock rear spoiler he has on the boot lid, and because of the extra weight it would not stay open... so that's why the original springs / torsion bars are still there

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Tom, if you still have them what do you want for them and how long are they extended (and compressed if known)

Ta.

Sorry mate, I forgot about this. Ill find them tomorow and let you know.

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Tom, any word on those struts??

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Hey Tom, any word on those struts??

Sorry mate, my memory is terrible, damn holidays lol.

Uncompressed they measure 340mm from centre of the mounting hole, to centre of the other mounting hole.

I havent got compressed yet, as they are brand new and very tight, Ill fit them to the VT tomorow and compress them that way and make sure there ok, and get you a measurement.

Sorry its taken so long.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Sorry mate, my memory is terrible, damn holidays lol.

Uncompressed they measure 340mm from centre of the mounting hole, to centre of the other mounting hole.

I havent got compressed yet, as they are brand new and very tight, Ill fit them to the VT tomorow and compress them that way and make sure there ok, and get you a measurement.

Sorry its taken so long.

340mm uncompressed, 240mm compressed. Holds the VT boot with spoiler perfectly, and still easy enough to close. A VK boot weighs nothing near a VT boot so they should be more then adequate.
PM me if you want them, I only want what they cost me, which is $25, plus postage.

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
GREAT SUCCESS!!!

After I recieved the gas struts from Tom (above posts) and a lot of putting it off and doing other stuff I finally got around to the install.

As in the above posts the struts I used were from a VT Clubsport (heavier duty to accomodate a spoiler also) than what I really needed but the result is exactly what I am after.

What you'll need if you are doing this as per me:

* Struts
* Drill
* Strut mounting pieces to suit. $3 ea from Sprint Auto (basically a ball with a thread in the end)
* Spring washers and nuts to suit
* 8mm drill bit.

This is what I did to put em in!

I wanted to make them as inconspicuous as possible so I spent a bit of time measuring and checking everything out so I could put them in and not have them rub on anything or cause me hassles down the track.

I found holes from the factory already in useable places on both boot arms. These holes aren't visable with the boot completely open so they were a great starting point (right size and all).

I attached the strut mounts into the holes attached the strut and did some more measuring. From here I found that they would fit prefectly up against the vertical panel above the wheel arch. I could drill my hole and reach down the side to thread the nut. Perfect!

I held the strut up against the panel and, with my technical boot holding open device - steel bar) i marked a hole to drill out.

Drilled hole, installed mount and tried it out. With the one strut fitted it was a lot easier to open but I wanted a little my symetry to my work so I did the exact same for the other side. Same place, same holes and everything worked! No issues with the wiring getting in the way or the boot light switch. Even the fuel tank plumbing wasn't in the way.

Finished product as per pics below. Previously I installed a push-button type boot release by a guide another JC member provided. So now, with my latest contribution, with the simple push of a button, my boot gently glides up and stays open. Also it's soft enouth that my 8yo daughter can close it without any issues at all. But not so soft that the wind can close it on my head.

All up after I figured out where they were going it want really quick. Check out the pics and if this works for you please feel free to send me a donation or I'll settle for the knowledge that I was able to help someone else out after the bloody boot springs snapped. Like mine.

Enjoy,

Lewie.

Attachments

• 08082009168.jpg
    08082009168.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,942
  • 08082009166.jpg
    08082009166.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 2,104
  • 08082009167.jpg
    08082009167.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,547
  • 08082009169.jpg
    08082009169.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,442
  • 08082009170.jpg
    08082009170.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,366

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Nice work Lewie, sounds like it works a treat.

How do the struts go fitted on an angle, seems like they would want to fit against themselves?

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nice work Lewie, sounds like it works a treat.

How do the struts go fitted on an angle, seems like they would want to fit against themselves?

They worked fine! The mounts had a few mil extra between the ball and the threaded shaft so there was about 10-15 degrees of movement available. This allowed for a little extra pivot.