Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH Boot spring install

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very thirsty VT & VH project under way! YAY!!
Hey Guys,

Is there any easy way to install the springs for a VH boot. I damn near skewered myself (twice) removing them from an old VK today. I'd like to avoid that putting them in. Failing any easy options I'll investigate struts maybe.

Any ideas??

Cheers,
Lewie.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
When I did mine I used a pair of vice grips (quality ones) and twisted them up, got 3/4 way through an extra turn and slipped ened up with a borken left hand 4th metacarpel impacted fracture.
I ened up putting them in standard turns and added coil springs to the hinge to help the with the weight of the spoiler

cheers
scott

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
When I did mine I used a pair of vice grips (quality ones) and twisted them up, got 3/4 way through an extra turn and slipped ened up with a borken left hand 4th metacarpel impacted fracture.
I ened up putting them in standard turns and added coil springs to the hinge to help the with the weight of the spoiler

cheers
scott

I did the same, vice grips on them and twisted them. BUT I put my friend whos 5' 2" inside the boot with the worklight and closed the lid, caus there easier to get in when the boot is near shut, but if they snapped I imagine who would have been screaming.

As Scott said if you have a spoiler, adding coil springs is the only way to take the weight long term.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Make sure that you put them on the proper side as they are not interchangable . Also from memory you have to fit the left one first .

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Has anyone investigated putting struts in to replace the deadly springs. I don't like my chances of getting them in in one piece. Both the springs and I.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Has anyone investigated putting struts in to replace the deadly springs. I don't like my chances of getting them in in one piece. Both the springs and I.

I looked into it, was going to copy the design off the VT which uses struts aswell.
I ended up finding the HDT Springs to solve mine (work with the original springs aswell though) but they are rare as hens teeth.

If your interested I have a set of VT Clubsport (heavier duty) Boot gas struts if your interested, as I wont be needing them now.

vkwalks39

NUCKING FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 / VH V8 / VR V8
Gday, just put gas struts in its easy and safe. My brother and I did it to his vk, And, then my brother broken his finger. it was the quickest trip to the hosy.

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gday, just put gas struts in its easy and safe. My brother and I did it to his vk, And, then my brother broken his finger. it was the quickest trip to the hosy.

What struts did you use? Where did you mount them? Pics would be great. Did you get them off another car or buy them separatly?

garvs

Reaction score
i will be putting some ef falcon ones in my car eventually

the passenger side one snapped when i accidentally leaned on the arm when the boot lid was taken off lol

here is an exampe where another person put his on the drivers side
bootstrut2.jpg

this is where i will be putting mine (as per another persons boot), tho only going to put it on this one side I broke (passenger side) and see how it goes, if it does not work then I will be trying to work out a way to fit a similar one on the other side

pic below

Attachments

• MVC-032S-6.jpg
    MVC-032S-6.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,365

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I looked into it, was going to copy the design off the VT which uses struts aswell.
I ended up finding the HDT Springs to solve mine (work with the original springs aswell though) but they are rare as hens teeth.

If your interested I have a set of VT Clubsport (heavier duty) Boot gas struts if your interested, as I wont be needing them now.

Tom, if you still have them what do you want for them and how long are they extended (and compressed if known)

Ta.